Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,063   Posts: 1,611,523   Online: 1036

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an update, I purchased a Hewes SS reel and have been practicing...already feels a LOT easier to me than the plastic reels.
    To repeat the old vaudeville joke, an old woman asks a passerby in NYC how to get to Carnegie Hall. She is told "Practice, practice, practice."

Glad that you are on your way to solving your problem.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, I thought my difficulty with loading the reel was lack of practice. Didnt quite think that not having a dry reel was an issue.
    Should also try SS reels now!

Shooter
    35mm
    For us non dishwasher equipped home developers, what do you use to clean off photo flo?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    For us non dishwasher equipped home developers, what do you use to clean off photo flo?
    I wonder if the photo flo problem is using too much. My dishwasher, as do many, has a rinse aid dispenser, which adds a measured amount of a surface tension reducer to help prevent drying spots on dishes. Sounds a lot like photo flo, doesn't it? I'm not sure I'd use the dishwasher product instead of photo flo, though!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    I wonder if the photo flo problem is using too much. My dishwasher, as do many, has a rinse aid dispenser, which adds a measured amount of a surface tension reducer to help prevent drying spots on dishes. Sounds a lot like photo flo, doesn't it? I'm not sure I'd use the dishwasher product instead of photo flo, though!
    You really don't need to use much Photo-Flo, just enough to break the surface tension of the water. This amounts to 3-4 drops per 250 ml. Using too much causes a greasy scum on film. The problem is caused by the anti-foaming agent that is part of the product.

The surfactant used is Triton X-100 which when used alone causes no problems.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which problem does the anti-foaming agent create? Stickiness?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When used in excess the anti-foaming chemical leaves a greasy/waxy deposit that increases the amount of friction when using plastic reels. The problem is worse if tap water is used to mix the Photo-Flo. Contaminated reels can be cleaned by soaking overnight in a 1% sodium carbonate solution. A tooth brush is good to clean the grooves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only use a bit of Photo Flo, around .5ml, in my opinion if it starts foaming, I'm using too much...I still get few bubbles, but not ridiculous amounts like in some of the youtube vids I've seen around.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use warm water and dump about twice to clean out photo flo. I don't use plastic though. You guys should really ditch the plastic as the OP did - they're 90% trouble.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    You guys should really ditch the plastic as the OP did - they're 90% trouble.
    FWIW, this was my logic (should any other newcomers find themselves in a similar situation, which would appear to be a fairly common occurrence) - because I didn't have significant experience with either SS or plastic and it was clear that there are people who have success with both, I just went for the one that seemed like it would be more trouble-free overall. Plastic reels getting warped, photoflo issues, having to use the pencil trick, making sure they are bone dry and even then having to use a hairdryer to get them to work...that seemed like a pretty long list of potential problem spots for me. For SS, the only significant risk seemed to be bending the reel, which just seemed simpler overall to me. Add in that you are using less chemistry, and this seemed like the right decision for me at this time.

But, as I said earlier, everyone seems to have success their own way. Seems like a bit of a Pepsi/Coke, Ford/Chevy, Mac/PC type of thing - it's just about finding what works for you (although if your answer is anything other than Coke, Ford and Mac, I will simply assume you are a communist that hates America ).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin