Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,846   Online: 1057

Shooter
    35mm

life shelf of powder chemical

is someone know what is the life shelf of the chemical powder for developing?
    I keep the powder in the warehouse, without windows and usually warm temperatures
    i use it before but i want to know if the powder has a time life shelf to know if i can continue to use it.
    i purchased it in about 3 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm sure there are exception but commercially available powders, in sealed packages, can normally last indefinitely. They typically only react/degrade when exposed to air or water.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I keep mine in PET plastic bottles (which are everywhere) and, for years and years, no problems. In fact, I still have some Metol from the 1970s that remains fine (even though PET plastic was not around then. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is best to leave photochemicals, such as developers and fixers in their original containers. Store them where they will not be exposed to extremes in temperature. Handle bagged products gently to avoid any punctures. If possible do not buy anymore than can be used in a reasonable length of time.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a rule of thumb, indefinitely. Chemicals packed in sealed cans are certainly good for 50 years or more, as long as the can hasn't rusted through or been punctured. Chemicals now mostly come in sealed soft packs. They are potentially just as good, but they are more subject to damage. As long as the material remains a free flowing powder and not hard chunks, it is probably OK (a little crusting is OK, just not big hard chunks).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin