Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,743   Online: 816

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa APX 400 is back?

Hi!

I've just noticed that MACODIRECT sells APX400, labeled with NEW EMULSION. Is this really APX400 that's back?

Also, is APX400 any good?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Agfa ASP 400 and that's nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are not happy with the new one I think Fotoimpex.de still has some of the old version on 30,5m rolls (I just bought one).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nope. The "new elmusion" Agfaphoto APX100 and APX400 have nothing to do with the original Agfa emulsions. The information available now suggests that these films are very close to if not identical with Kentmere 100 and 400, only 25% more expensive (at least here in Germany). They are distributed by Lupus imaging, a company that currently owns the rights to the "Agfaphoto" brand name. If you liked the original Agfa APX400, fotoimpex.de still sells remaining stock of bulk rolls of this film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither Lupus nor Agfaphoto Holding are owning the brandname Agfaphoto, but Agfa.

Agfa however, after the sale of their consumer branch which used the designation AgfaPhoto lately and a legal case with that new company AgfaPhoto Holding on this branding matter, has to license it to the latter due to court decision.

The icon corresponding to the name Agfaphoto is a red dot, not that red rhomb Agfa use for themselves.
    Last edited by AgX; 08-12-2013 at 06:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the story with why German companies keep pulling these games?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, it's not the same old film? I'm ok with this.

I'm currently using RPX100/RPX400 but it would be nice to use a film which I can use in all/most formats. RPX is only available in 135/120, but is pretty nice so I think I'll stick with it until I go all LF and then stick with like TMAX400 or HP5+.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    What's the story with why German companies keep pulling these games?
    The only asset that remained at AgfaPhoto Holding after the insolvency of the AgfoPhoto manufacturing entity is the ability to use that brandname.
    They built their whole business around that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Strange, just last week Adox had a film on their website, Adox Pan 400 based on APX 400 to be released and today there are no trace of this.
    This info can be found cached but not today:

"ADOX PAN 400 Film

AgfaPhoto in Leverkusen went into receivership in 2005 and all attempts to save it failed.
    Since November 2006 the company is beeing liquidated.

ADOX has acquired together with former research engineers of AgfaPhoto machines and KnowHow from the liquidator.

These engineers managed to remanufacture a new APX while avoiding the weaknesses of the old emulsion.
    The emulsion is beeing made on genuine Agfa equipment and coated on Agfa´s former coating line now owned by a new company."

Since they had acquired both machines and personnel from Agfa it could have been close to the original.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adox stated to have have worked long time on a ISO 400 film. When they they technically were prepared they stated in 2012 to have lost market capability due to the loss of large scale customers in connection with cheap competition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin