Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,610   Online: 954

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The biggest format I have found for the Portfolio weight paper is only 5x7" !! I'm sure it must be packed in larger sizes, but it would need to be ordered specially I suppose. I have used both the 5x7" and the postcard size - and both in 'pearl' (lustre, semi-gloss) finish.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Prints that are as stiff as a board

In my search for finding a way to get flat fibre prints, I tried the suggestion to dry mount a test print to the back of a finished print, and I discovered last weekend that it works remarkably well. The result is much stiffer than I would have imagined and the print stays flat. I don't have an expensive dry mount press. I bought some mounting tissue (DuraCraft DuraMount Dry Mounting Tissue ) and use a clothes iron.

So far I have only mounted the test print with the emulsion on the outside, but I don't see any problem with mounting the test print with the emulsion hidden. If you're so good that you don't have a large enough supply of not good enough prints, you could buy some heavy card stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham06 View Post
    In my search for finding a way to get flat fibre prints, I tried the suggestion to dry mount a test print to the back of a finished print, and I discovered last weekend that it works remarkably well. The result is much stiffer than I would have imagined and the print stays flat. I don't have an expensive dry mount press. I bought some mounting tissue (DuraCraft DuraMount Dry Mounting Tissue ) and use a clothes iron.

So far I have only mounted the test print with the emulsion on the outside, but I don't see any problem with mounting the test print with the emulsion hidden. If you're so good that you don't have a large enough supply of not good enough prints, you could buy some heavy card stock.
    I used to do exactly this. Great to make a little book, or for prints that were to be handled in anyway, like a view book. I'd print with a wide border, mount back to back with fixed and washed paper. Old stuff that is fogged is great to use. The curl gets canceled out. Works great.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrs View Post
    I do. Portfolio is just right.
    Just a pity that the price premium on Ilford Portfolio paper compared to MGIV is so large. I assume that the extra thickness consists entirely of paper which is slightly thicker and adds about 60 gms per square metre. I think the figures are 190 for MGIV and about 250 for Portfolio. On that basis Portfolio is about 30% heavier. Assuming that all other constituents of Portfolio are the same you might expect therefore a 30 % increase in price but it is much more than this.

Postcard paper which is almost 6x4 inch Portfolio paper with a printed postcard back is over double the price of 7x5 inch MGIV( Postcard paper is now available at about £45 per box of 100) and thus quite a bit more than double the price of 6x4 MGIV.

I need to add that I am referring here to U.K. prices. Other countries' prices may be different.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Indeed, portfolio is more expensive than multigrade FB. But then it saves time, fixer and water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    tkamiya, that's not really a solution for me as I have many keepers and I like having prints in my hands.

Well, sorry about that. This is what I do when I frame RC prints so it won't buckle.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I like Portfolio a lot, but for contact sheets I want something thinner to save space in the neg binders. I'd use single weight if it still existed. Last time I saw it was POP paper and Azo. Single weight was great for paper negatives.
    Yes, I'd be happy with some thinner RC paper for paper negatives.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why would you want these to be thicker? Unless you are focusing on something of the same thickness, a thicker paper would give greater variance of focus between it's surface and the baseboard.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RC paper support is made of /polyethylene/titanium dioxide in binder/fine quality paper/polyethylene

The cost of all of these has gone up in the last few years, and so all of them have been slimmed down to the bare minimum. Due to the increase in oil prices, polyethylene has gone way up.

Regarding SW FB, it is still made in tiny quantity, but is very hard to coat on. It is hard to process and hard to work with post process.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the thicker RC papers too. The one I use most often is the ilford post card type that is in the portfolio thickness. I had used a few assorted packs of fuji rc paper and that stuff is the thinnest paper that I have ever used, its also sized just slightly different.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin