Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,977   Online: 820

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why would you want these to be thicker? Unless you are focusing on something of the same thickness, a thicker paper would give greater variance of focus between it's surface and the baseboard.
    Clive, I'm talking 'FB thickness'.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    RC paper support is made of /polyethylene/titanium dioxide in binder/fine quality paper/polyethylene

The cost of all of these has gone up in the last few years, and so all of them have been slimmed down to the bare minimum. Due to the increase in oil prices, polyethylene has gone way up.

Regarding SW FB, it is still made in tiny quantity, but is very hard to coat on. It is hard to process and hard to work with post process.

PE
    Standard PE paper is consumed in large quantities for RA-4 papers.
    The increase in raw material cost for those two foils should be negligable for the price of sheet papers.

The problem is rather to find a cooperative supplier. There is only one independant supplier. And that is not able/willing or not asked to (depending on point of view) to make a variety of bases. The critical point would be the batch size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never use RC myself. I'd love a regular supply of 9x12" SW fiber, my stocks of that are nearly gone.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Clive, I'm talking 'FB thickness'.
    But wouldn't that also be true for FB?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive, guys, the thickness of the paper is unimportant if you focus on a sheet of the paper you are printing on.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But wouldn't that also be true for FB?
    The DoF at the board is much greater than many believe. And, as PE said, I focus on a piece of paper as my enlarging easel isn't white in colour.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    The DoF at the board is much greater than many believe. And, as PE said, I focus on a piece of paper as my enlarging easel isn't white in colour.
    Miha, I don't really understand why you want thicker paper. What can you do with thicker paper that you can't do with thinner? Also, I think you mean depth of focus.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, thick paper equals quality and 'something different' for many photo viewers. Watch the different reactions to Art300 and a thin RC print.

When discussing prints and handing them around to friends they are usually unmounted and the tactile part of the experience does play a role in the impression made. Most people, if they print at all, have lab made colour prints (from Frontiers or other automated RA4 systems) which are on thin RC base material, so anything which is a 'plus' to that is positive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Miha, I don't really understand why you want thicker paper. What can you do with thicker paper that you can't do with thinner? Also, I think you mean depth of focus.
    I can handle it easily, the light doesn't shine trough when holding it at arm's length, it doesn't bend when holding in one hand only, etc...
    Yes by DoF I mean depth of focus which is quite generous at medium enlargemets and medium apertures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Well, thick paper equals quality and 'something different' for many photo viewers. Watch the different reactions to Art300 and a thin RC print.
    Very true, my wife commented once on the paper thickness when handling a photo printed on Portfolio paper (and she dislikes FB papers).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin