Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,028   Online: 703

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Very true, my wife commented once on the paper thickness when handling a photo printed on Portfolio paper (and she dislikes FB papers).
    Miha, the tactile qualities of a print is something I have never thought about, but will take your word for it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Miha, the tactile qualities of a print is something I have never thought about, but will take your word for it.
    I know this Clive. For you a good photo can also be appreciated in a magazine. And to be honest I would prefer an original copy of the Vu magazine with the picture of the Falling soldier taken by Capa to a FB print made from the original negative in 2013. What would be your pick?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Miha, that is a very big question, as there are so many great photographers and images to choose from. I suppose as a photographer’s photographer I think the following is my favourite.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mil...9,r:0,s:0,i:82

Not because of a particularly great composition, but rather a compromise between so many different photographic factors. If you view an enlargement of this image the profile of the near woman’s face has a slight dark background between her and the woman in the distance. A fraction of a mm differential (the difference between a good photograph and a really great one).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive, I'm still interested in your choice as stated in my previus post - an original edition of the Vu magazine or a 2013 FB print from the original Capa's negative?

As for HCB favourite, there are many, but I prefer his more 'static' potos.

p.s. I see that my question in #42 was not very clear, sorry

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Clive, I'm still interested in your choice as stated in my previus post - an original edition of the Vu magazine or a 2013 FB print from the original Capa's negative?

As for HCB favourite, there are many, but I prefer his more 'static' potos.

p.s. I see that my question in #42 was not very clear, sorry
    Miha, sorry for the confusion, but I'm not that familiar with Vu magazine. But as pointed out in your previous post I prefer a good photograph (however it is printed) to an FB print or any other version.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Miha, sorry for the confusion, but I'm not that familiar with Vu magazine. But as pointed out in your previous post I prefer a good photograph (however it is printed) to an FB print or any other version.
    It's the magazine where Capa's famous photo was first published: http://www.creativereview.co.uk/imag...10/vu_capa.jpg versus http://www.nytstore.com/Fallen-Soldi...36_p_5941.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It's the magazine where Capa's famous photo was first published: http://www.creativereview.co.uk/imag...10/vu_capa.jpg versus http://www.nytstore.com/Fallen-Soldi...36_p_5941.html
    The Capa picture in question has a debate behind it about posed or original. I don't know the outcome, but Capa was a very good photographer. He kept Magnum afloat with his gambling. Incidentally, the thing I like about Capa is the inscription he had inside his helmet that said something along the lines of “Robert Capa, great correspondent and lover.”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While we are at it, what's the thickness of the ADOX MCP paper? The data sheet provided by ADOX says 270 ug which is valid for the old AGFA papers.
    Last edited by miha; 08-14-2013 at 04:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a different figure for the new Adox PE paper for which I'm not sure though most certain:
    220g/m² (paper+PE foils)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that 220g/m2 is incorrect. Ilford state 190g/m2 for their regular RC paper and I read that ADOX feels a little thinner than MGRC, although I believe this was only stated once by one user here at APUG.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin