Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,424   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How badly did I screw up (6th edition)?

Saturday night I did my first multi-tank developing session. When the first was safely in the fixer, I started developing the 2nd. 5 minutes in I realized that number 2 is in stop, not developer. I emptied it, gave it a real good rinse, and set it upside down a towel to drain. I did not try to start over, but decided to save it for another night. Am I correct in thinking that stop bath doesn't hurt anything and it should be alright?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should be fine, just make sure you do another good pre-wet when you actually develop the film.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That said, I wouldn't dillydally much...get it done asap.

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how much acid was absorbed by the gelatin in the film.

I would think that at the very least it might affect the results by changing the initial pH of the film plus developer combo. If you have a choice of developers, I would recommend something that gives a longer developing time. Having excess developer in the tank might be a good idea as well.

I have never made that mistake (there has to be at least one I've missed) so I would be interested to hear from someone who has..

Assuming of course that Chris isn't speaking from specific experience.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never done this myself, but if you did a sufficient rinse/wash after dunking it in the stop, it should have rinsed out most of the acid/developing stopping gremlins. Matt is right though, if you have a developer available with a longer dev time, something like 10-15 minutes, that will give you some peace of mind. Definitely make sure you give the film a good pre-wet, (fill and agitate the tank for 20 seconds, dump) make sure you do this at least 3 times to really give the film a good clean start.

At the very least you will get something so just go about business as usual after the pre-wet and you'll more likely than not be completely fine.

That said, I would be very careful with your chem temperatures, the wet/drying cycle may have made the emulsion more brittle/fragile than usual, and you don't want to risk reticulating your film.

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder how much acid was absorbed by the gelatin in the film.

I would think that at the very least it might affect the results by changing the initial pH of the film plus developer combo. If you have a choice of developers, I would recommend something that gives a longer developing time. Having excess developer in the tank might be a good idea as well.

I have never made that mistake (there has to be at least one I've missed) so I would be interested to hear from someone who has..

Assuming of course that Chris isn't speaking from specific experience.
    Once upon a time acetic acid vapour was a latensification method. Not exactly the same thing of course so I can't really add anything of value here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all of you. I'm using tmax, which is pretty aggressive at only 7 minutes for 68f. Pretty much everything (room air, chems, film, cold water supply) is all at 68 in the evening. I might not get to this till next Saturday. If anything good comes out of it, it will be a small miracle.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This film is probably toast. Last night, concerned about how much acidity it might have picked up, I gave the film a rinse. Dumping it out, it looked like dirty, grey dishwater. That's gotta the emulsion coming off, doesn't it? The blue AH layer was already washed off the other night.

I'll find out for sure next Saturday, but thanks to you, Chris, Matt and Michael, for helping. Having people like you as a backup has really helped me to dare to explore and take risks. This roll is really a disappointment because it was done at a place I won't soon return to and had some people I may not see again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's gray, forget about it. That's the emulsion coming off. There will be nothing on that film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the confirmation, Thomas. Into the trash it goes, another lesson learned. Check label twice, pour once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin