Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,524   Online: 775

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what you mean by *necessarily* cheaper. I just did a quick calculation to see how much making my own hypo clear would save: using the Kodak HCA formula I found it would cost about $1.85 per 5 liters of working solution and using only sodium sulfite it would cost $0.72 per 5 liters of working solution. For comparison, a liter of Ilford Wash Aid (which makes per 5 liters of working solution) costs $8.18 at B&H. Maybe
    some other formulas/chemicals would be more expensive?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all are in this fer different reasons. That said, I don't know why you would need the cookbook unless you are going to do a lot of experimentation. That said, this site is the best for getting ideas, formuli, and dev times for jist about anthing you might want to do.

I use 4 developers:
    W2D2+ for my 4x5 sheet film (apx100)
    Rodinal for most general developing
    Diafine for when I want to go out and play WeeGee or I want max depth of field from my old 6x6 folders in poor light
    homebrew 777 for that 100 film speed glowing portrait look

Sure some things in the Photo-Lab Index look neat to try, but ask yerself if you are willing to put the time and money into optimizing more than one or two of them.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Three, there are a few who swear by the two ingredient D23.
    From three chemicals quite a few developers can be compounded.
    That's got me wondering. How about D23-VC; one-shot of
    course? My understanding is that A. acid is short lived at
    working strength when at use in tank or tray. Dan

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Three, there are a few who swear by the two ingredient D23.
    From three chemicals quite a few developers can be compounded.
    That's got me wondering. How about D23-VC; one-shot of
    course? My understanding is that A. acid is short lived at
    working strength when at use in tank or tray. Dan
    How long must a one-shot developer last at working strength? It doesn't matter what the ingredients are, if I'm not done with it within an hour, it goes out. I have used paper developer with no sulfite and find it still working the next day. Ascorbates are not the only 3-ingredient developers with little or no sulfite. A few years ago, a pound of sulfite cost me $4.50. It's a lot cheaper in bulk, I know, but it is still the major cost of some developers like D-23 and D-76.

Ryuji Suzuki's ascorbate developer with salicylic acid shows promise of having long storage life. It's too soon to make generalizations, especially those promoted by the Film Developing Cookbook. Not that it doesn't have some good information, but it does tend to promote some Old Wives' Tales. General rules about the relationship between solvency and grain are not really so general, though they are quoted often as the reason one developer is better or worse than another. Enough.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have _The Darkroom Cookbook_, but not _The Film Developing Cookbook_.

If you really want something that goes into much greater depth, I'd recommend Grant Haist's _Modern Photographic Processing_. It's out of print except as an on-demand reprint, and even marked up copies are fairly expensive, but once you have it, you'll know why it commands such a price. Much of it is a compilation of other research, but its value lies precisely in its thorough review of virtually everything of importance published until about 1979 and excellent documentation, so if a passing reference to some mercapto acid fixer catches your fancy, you'll have a few citations, and you can look them up.

I only have vol. 1, which contains all the info on developers, which is what I'm mainly interested in.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sodium Ascorbate may not provide a high enough ph to
    activate metol well. An ascorbate D23 may not be possible.

Of course I would have to order PHOTO grade or better
    ASCORBATE to make a two chemical D23-VC. P. Formulary
    supplies, at last look, only the acid.

Then again ascorbate alone might activate phenidone;
    D23-VCP. Ever give that a try? Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Regarding sodium sulfite, I see it in Kodak containers for $9.99US per lb at photo shops, but my local swimming pool supplier sells the identical stuff in 50lb bags for $65.00US. Sodium carbonate and hypo are even beter deals in bulk. I wish my favorite developing agents had more universal uses.....

Brook

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How does one get hold of a copy of the photo lab index? I understand they are quite old and out of print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I have _The Darkroom Cookbook_, but not _The Film Developing Cookbook_.

Grant Haist's _Modern Photographic Processing_. It's out of print except as an on-demand reprint, and even marked up copies are fairly expensive, but once you have it, you'll know why it commands such a price.
    Grant Haist has many new copies of the 2 volume set for sale for $175 plus $5 for shipping. Haist himself as well as his old colleagues in Rochester are accepting orders and the book will be shipped directly from Grant Haist.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin