Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,260   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dear Trask,

Could you please give me more information on AGFA Ortho Film ? And sourcing please.

Thank you,
    Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dear Gerald,

Could you please confirm Perceptol is a phonidone developer , I had been developed 100 rolls of 120 AGFA Isopan with Ilford Phenidone developer but I can not remember its name. I dont like packaging of Ilford Chemicals , they are worse than medicine packaging and cheap looking.

What is the advantage of AGFA 12 over D23 if there is any ?
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Because of the carbonate in Agfa AG-12 this developer is more active than D-23. It would probably create more grain than D-23. Using a 400 speed film in a Minox is already going to produce a lot of grain. My preference would be for the D-23. Better yet if you can get it use Ilford Perceptol.
    There's so little Carbonate in Agfa 12 (6gms) and it has 25% more Sulphite, it's unlikely to be any grainier than D-23.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Umut, Perceptol does not contain Phenidone. It is a Metol-Sulfite developer similar to D-23, but with the addition of Sodium Chloride for increased solvent action/restraint. It will cost you film speed relative to D-23 if you want to get the extra fine grain out of Perceptol.

There is nothing wrong with Ilford's packaging.

Ian, 6g/L Carbonate sounds like quite a lot actually (and the developer contains a restrainer). Never used it or read much about it but I'd be surprised if it produced grain as fine as D-23. Then again the film is an important variable in all this so who knows.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 08-15-2013 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's so little Carbonate in Agfa 12 (6gms) and it has 25% more Sulphite, it's unlikely to be any grainier than D-23.

Ian
    It would be an interesting experiment to compare the results of both developers. Due to the small size of the Minox negatives any difference should be readily apparent.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mustafa, my reference to Agfa Ortho in Minox format was unfair to you, because I don't think that that film in a Minox load has been available for decades. Even though Minox in Germany says it will continue to make some emulsions in Minox format, in my opinion someone who really wants to continue using an 8mm X 11mm Minox camera has to be ready to slit 35mm film or 120 film (more difficult) into Minox-width strips that you can load back into used Minox cassettes. Minox once produced a 35mm film slitter -- I have one, but they aren't common -- and there used to a few people who made and sold film slitters on eBay; looking just now I don't see any. But you should be able to find plans on the web. So getting all the stuff together can be a challenge, but once you've got the slitter and cassettes, you can shoot Minox all day long because one roll of 35mm film will give you probably 100 exposures. If I were to start slitting film today, I think I'd try some Fuji Acros (for fine grain) or maybe some low-speed film around ISO 25 or so, though often these films have higher contrast which can be problematic in such a small negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was pleasantly surprised in APX400 developed in A49. Silksmooth compared to Rodinal result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is another possibility for a developer which contains only metol as the developing agent. This would be Haist's variant of D-76. D-76H contains only Metol, sodium sulfite and a small amount of borax. It is intended as a one-shot.

D-76H

Metol 2.5 g
    Sodium sulfite 100 g
    Borax 2.0 g
    water to make 1.0 l
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    It would be an interesting experiment to compare the results of both developers. Due to the small size of the Minox negatives any difference should be readily apparent.
    That would be very worthwhile. Agfa 12 also has some restrainer. It may be somewhat sharper than D-23, which can count with Minox work. Agfa 14 is another possibility - sort of a diluted Agfa 12. It should retain fine grain while giving a bit more sharpness. You mentioned D-76H, which also might be interesting diluted 1+1. So many interesting possibilities - but limited film and time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin