Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,787   Online: 899

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

AGFA 12 or D23 , which for APX 400 on Minox

Tonight , I am going to go to buy a Minox and order APX 400. I will cut 35mm film with maket knife in to 4 pieces and use on Minox.

I always loved 4 developers , HC110, Pyro , D23 and Agfa 12. First two are expensive to ship to Istanbul . I saw the Weston , Adams catalogs and I admired first 3. Last developer is coming from moon over hernandez Picture and I loved the scan of low contrast original and how it turns in to high contrast one after print.

I do want to use curves on agfa 12 at online photo editor and heavily normalized the Picture or Do D23 do better job ?

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    APX400, at least the 'old' version, is fairly coarse-grained. Is that the specific reason for choosing it? Otherwise almost any current 400 film would be finer and smoother toned. The Delta400 would have been my choice for a pictorial film. My apologies for not actually giving an answer, but I was surprised at the choice of film for Minox format.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its the same reason to use Leica , I like the tones and noise. I started to read a book about psychologist Arnheim and his method and he tries to explain the art. Its a good painting or cheap painting thing. Quality of image gets you. And original Minox film is APX.
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 08-12-2013 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where will you get APX 400?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think I will buy it from APUG Classifieds , safest and cheapest place and trusted people.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Where will you get APX 400?
    Still available as bulk roll from Fotoimpex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. I'm asking because there is no more original APX 400 on the market (there is one exception but it's a bulk roll).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Still available as bulk roll from Fotoimpex.
    you were quicker...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mustafa, if you're talking about a Minox sub mini, of which I have several, remember that these are all fixed aperture cameras at f/3.5 IIRC (all my Minox are far away at the moment), and max out at 1/1000 second, so you'll have to use the built in ND filter to even get close to the sunny 16 exposure for such a fast film. I know you have aesthetic reasons for using APX 400, but just be aware that you may be overexposing the film significantly if you intend to use it in normal daylight. Of course an ASA 400 film would be perfectly appropriate if you intend to shoot in low light. FYI, I have had great success with Agfa Ortho film in a Minox, developed (again my memory) in Neofin Blue. Nearly grainless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because of the carbonate in Agfa AG-12 this developer is more active than D-23. It would probably create more grain than D-23. Using a 400 speed film in a Minox is already going to produce a lot of grain. My preference would be for the D-23. Better yet if you can get it use Ilford Perceptol.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin