Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,605   Online: 825

Shooter
    Medium Format

Does Forte Coldtone paper Lith?

I've come across some Forte Coldtone FB paper and wondered if it Lith prints? I really like the Poly Warmtone for Lith printing but haven't heard of this paper before. I know a lot of the old Forte papers work well for lith printing but I can't find any information on the coldtone paper. There is nothing in Tim Rudman's last lith materials update and it appears to be different to Polygrade or Bromofort.

I guess it is quite old but i'm less concerned about this for lith printing.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The paper is called Forte Polygrade and Google finds quite a bit about it's lith properties, e.g. this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/4...rade-lith.html
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Andreas but I don't think it is Polygrade. As far as I know Polygrade is resin coated whilst this is FB. The boxes also look different as far as I can see. It specifically says Coldtone, whilst the polygrade boxes say Polygrade on them. It may be that it is the same emulsion coated on FB paper but I'd like to confirm this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's not Polygrade, it's Bromofort. Those were Forte's only cold tone offerings. Polygrade was certainly available as a fibre based paper and it was variable contrast. Bromofort was graded, and in my opinion much colder toned. Both lith, with very different results. I found the Bromofort to give a very pronounced bromide drag effect - a vignette if you will. Polygrade, does not show this effect. I've also found that Forte papers vary a great deal from batch to batch in lith. Dramatically. One box of Polygrade will lith wonderfully, the next will be a dull thud.

See this post I made in regards to printing with old, fogged Polygrade.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ing-great.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forte Polygrade was available in both RC and fiber based versions, glossy and matte surface.

It's amazing for lith printing. Attached print is 6x8 inches on 8x10 paper, using Arista Lith powder, at 1+1+28 concentration and 80 degrees F.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
    Thanks Andreas but I don't think it is Polygrade. As far as I know Polygrade is resin coated whilst this is FB. The boxes also look different as far as I can see. It specifically says Coldtone, whilst the polygrade boxes say Polygrade on them. It may be that it is the same emulsion coated on FB paper but I'd like to confirm this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails contemplative_3.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If this is the paper in question, it has "gone off" since purchased something over 10 years ago, no longer capable of rendering subtle mid tones. Though it is labeled "neutral tone", it always matched other cold tone papers. I presumed its best purpose to now be lith.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, it's a simple white box, much like the polywarmtone I've used recently. It just says Forte black and white photo paper on the box. The lable just says glossy, coldtone, fibrebased, multicontrast. The polygrade I've seen actually says polygrade on the lable.

This may just be older or newer iterations of labels than I'm familiar with, I'll trust that it is likely to be polygrade in the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since they made no other cold tone multigrade fiber paper, that's safe to assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
    No, it's a simple white box, much like the polywarmtone I've used recently. It just says Forte black and white photo paper on the box. The lable just says glossy, coldtone, fibrebased, multicontrast. The polygrade I've seen actually says polygrade on the lable.

This may just be older or newer iterations of labels than I'm familiar with, I'll trust that it is likely to be polygrade in the box.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin