Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,524   Online: 776

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was coming at it from a different fright angle - ie the films all basically do the same thing from a tone reproduction perspective. That's the really scary part. Makes you wonder about people who swear by the "tonality" one film and trash another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree Michael.

While I do think it is smart to learn the processes with a given film, once the basics are understood and a bit of experience is developed, switching films is easily managed.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I was coming at it from a different fright angle - ie the films all basically do the same thing from a tone reproduction perspective. That's the really scary part. Makes you wonder about people who swear by the "tonality" one film and trash another.
    I have much the same experience. Where the films seem to mainly differ is in graininess (which usually has far less impact than what most imply), and in a fairly small sense color reproduction.

But in the end, and this is always my point, the exposure and developing alterations we impose on the film yields many times bigger differences in the print than simply switching film does. Learning this was, to me, a profound thing, because it allows me a whole other degree of control - and one gigantic benefit of that is the feeling of satisfaction, knowing that it was more my skill than anything that helped me achieve what I wanted.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin