Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,980   Online: 1111

Shooter
    Multi Format

Arista EDU 400 shoit at 200 developing time?

As suggested on this forum I have shot some more Arista EDU Ultra 400 ISO 4x5, at 200 instead of 400..
    Developing in Hc110 dilution H at 68* for normal 400 is 13 minutes, but having pulled the film one stop, what should be my developing time?
    (Some archived sources on the net said one minute less.. others that it made no difference.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Develope it as normal. One stop over exposure will only result in a slightly denser negative and will still be able to print easily.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I go 9:30 in D-76 1:1 @ 69 degrees. Negs turn out pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you develop film for a shorter time, you don't just decrease density, but you also decrease contrast. When you print the negative you usually end up having to compensate for that by increasing the contrast back up to normal (however you want it) again.

This is true whether you give the film more exposure than usual or not.

The only thing you have to watch for is that sometimes you record a very long brightness range, longer than what is printable if you develop 'normal'. So if you shot a very high contrast scene, it may be necessary for you to contract the development by shortening developing time. But in normal contrast lighting, I would, like Rick A, not change anything because of a one stop over-exposure compared to normal.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    where going to develop normal... thanks guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I exposure at 1/2 to 1 stop lower most of the time and in particular if its a contrasty scene. If your scene was bright and contrasty I'd develop at 15-20% less than standard time or you will get a gorgeous looking contrasty neg that will be a real task to print. If relatively flat standard time or maybe 10% less should be fine.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin