Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,069   Online: 789

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Well yes, I do pretty much the same. There is zero reason to wash test prints and strips.
    I split-tone a lot of my prints, so I do keep the test prints and strips - to be used for further testing of the split -toning.

In my mind, the biggest practical advantage of RC is the ease of drying.

I also really like the Ilford RC Cooltone - there is no Ilford FB Cooltone.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I also really like the Ilford RC Cooltone - there is no Ilford FB Cooltone.
    Yes, I know. Sigh. I've been meaning to try Cooltone but reluctant for that reason, and also because it isn't available larger than 11x14 as far as I've seen, and I'm afraid I'd like it too much and then couldn't get it for my largest prints or in FB.

Simon, are you listening?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I've come to the point where one single try is perfect.
    Over time you will start to see the image and what needs to
    be dodged and burned by just looking at the projected negative
    onto the easel. A tiny test strip will be enough for understanting the whole exposure.
    I understand you are not joking, but are talking about what happens when you gain enough experience.

When you have very many negatives to print, you get efficient at working out what each needs.

I also try hard to conserve paper. I am sometimes lucky to get what I consider a good print from 1 sheet of paper and 1 test strip. More often it's 2 test strips and 1 sheet of paper. Occasionally 2 test strips and 2 sheets of paper. Only rarely do I put in more effort than that. Because if a particular negative is fighting me, there is always another negative more deserving of my time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I understand you are not joking, but are talking about what happens when you gain enough experience.

When you have very many negatives to print, you get efficient at working out what each needs.

I also try hard to conserve paper. I am sometimes lucky to get what I consider a good print from 1 sheet of paper and 1 test strip. More often it's 2 test strips and 1 sheet of paper. Occasionally 2 test strips and 2 sheets of paper. Only rarely do I put in more effort than that. Because if a particular negative is fighting me, there is always another negative more deserving of my time.
    Oh! I've had my fair share of lost hours and huge trial and error mistakes. Like when I woke up and I realized that the 20 16x20 FB prints that have dried overnight were all Garbage, thanks to the drydown that I didn't account for. A whole day lost, 200$ worth of papers lost. But with time, it got better and better. I am now at the point where printing a dozen of 20x24 takes me an evening. The road wasn't easy, though...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    gentelman, today i developed my first fb paper :-)
    i just cut a sheet into half and take the same exposure parameteres of the rc development. just to see how diffrent it is.

and it is different :-)

my imaginary workflow for 8x10 papers:
    i will do first prints on 5x7 rc papers to see how does the negative looks like on paper.
    store them over the week!

at weekend i will grap out the photos and watch them a second time.

if i like a print i will enlarge it on fb paper using conventional workflow with tests strips form the same fb batch...

lets give it a try...

best michael and thank you for your great advice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin