Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 943

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silvermax film

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    How do you reversal develop?
    This might give you a start point: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1220441194.pdf

In case the Silvermax is actually the same as Scala then most probably only 35mm raw stock is still around.
    Mirko has said here and in other places that Silvermax is only available in 35mm due to the base film thickness and availability of the same. Adox had aquired several rolls of film base from Agfa at the time of its insolvency. Silvermax was coated at Inoviscoat on that film base that is only suitable for certain formats, not for 120. Silvermax was created by former Agfa employees now working for Fotoimpex/Adox basing the new film on the APX100/Scala films. That's why they are similar.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ricardo, I was argueing on the line of those who believe that there is no new film.
    In case it is a newly designed or re-made film, I don't see a technical reason not to coat on two different bases as done with their newest CHS film.

I don't know.
    Last edited by AgX; 08-19-2013 at 02:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Ricardo, I was argueing on the line of those who believe that there is no new film.
    In case it is a newly designed or re-made film, I don't see a technical reason not to coat on two different bases as done with their newest CHS film.

I don't know.
    I wondered the same: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1520330

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Miha! That's the post I remembered seeing.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Maco once converted stock made for type 135 into type 120. AS the do want another coating, Fotoimpex could do the same with a masteroll at hand.

(Yes, I'm aware of the technical implication this might have on the user side.)
    Last edited by AgX; 08-19-2013 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, Maco once converted stock made for type 135 into type 120
    Well, they drowned in claims for these true "roll-films" (lack of NC layer) plus the only way they got these made was hand-rolling at Fotokemikas.
    For each of the above reasons this film would not have passed our QC.
    We manufactured a stach of state of the art 35mm film on 35mm base intended for Super8 and 35mm. When the film was ready to slit Ferrania was to close it´s doors (back then it looked final) and our slitting capacities were not yet set up so we slit all material to pancakes. Silvermax as well as the PAN 400 (which failed). Both are made on the same batch of base. These pancakes ae now cool stored and we have Material available for at least 4-5 years. Before this date I see little chances to even consider a remanufacturing apart from the other reasons I gave. All you technically thinking people need to start involving economics in your thought process. Fotokemika did not voluntarily gave up last year because the were making to much money. The same for Ilford/Switzerland and all others in the imaging market.
    Not everything which might be technically possible can be done after evaluating the costs and (very important second number) necessary investment volume.

We do what we can, promise ;-)

Mirko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I (and more people than just me I'm sure) am very grateful for the work that you do.
    Silvermax has become my standard small format film and MCC 110 the paper of choice. When the CHS II is ready in LF I will use that one as well. I really wish you guys the best and I'm very grateful that you are there.
    Thanks Mirko

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Mirko.

I was only referring to what would be technically possible, also hinting at shortcomings of such solutions.

That any step in production (making, converting, packaging etc.) must also be related to expected sales (or rather profits) is obvious. We typically don't know these relations, but still might speculate on why something is not offered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    I (and more people than just me I'm sure) am very grateful for the work that you do.
    Silvermax has become my standard small format film and MCC 110 the paper of choice. When the CHS II is ready in LF I will use that one as well. I really wish you guys the best and I'm very grateful that you are there.
    Thanks Mirko
    +1

Time for another order of Silvermax I think.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's always good to have someone like Mirko here to constantly remind us that it's not always financially possible to do something. While there is a list of films I would love to see offered by ADOX or any company, I doubt they will see the light of day simply because of economics. That ADOX can stay in business and even being able to maintain their selection of films is amazing to me. Kodak and Fuji each have shrunk their film lines down to only a few offerings is very telling to me about what the film world is doing.

Unfortunately the best we can hope for would be for some billionaire to step in and give a company like ADOX several hundred million Euros without any strings attached. I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

Thank you Mirko for everything your company is doing. We do appreciate it, even if we sometimes sound like whiny kids who are never happy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin