Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 880

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

B/w chemistry - small sizes.

Hi, I am just getting into b/w developing myself, have a camera club buddy who can get me some equipment for free.

The Ilfotol - is this only in 1L bottles? The dilution is 1+200. That woudl be heaps despite the 3yr shelf life....

The fixer can still be had for 500ml right? I have been told that maybe Ilford Rapid Fixer does 5L now only. Not sure if that is here in New Zealand. I read up on B&H and Kodak's fixer is only in 1 Gallon or near 4L sizes? That's powder and mixed to that size. Their professional Rapid fixer seems to be a similar size.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Within reason fixer doesn't go off, it just gets exhauseted from usage. Developer concentrate lasts quite a while (3+ months), but it will start to go brown; unless you have a vertical slot processor with a floating lids it only lasts about a day mixed up. Stop bath etc all seem to last forever. If you can start with standard Ilford liquid and evolve from there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
    Within reason fixer doesn't go off, it just gets exhauseted from usage. Developer concentrate lasts quite a while (3+ months), but it will start to go brown; unless you have a vertical slot processor with a floating lids it only lasts about a day mixed up. Stop bath etc all seem to last forever. If you can start with standard Ilford liquid and evolve from there.
    Thanks. I have been reading Ilford's data sheets. Their powder developer stocks after mixed last 6 months in full bottles. Stop is 5yr, plenty. Fix is said 6 months and Rinser is 3yrs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can get it LC29 has a good shelf life and is available in small bottles. Quite concentrated so goes a long way. Good general developer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can get hold of either Adonal or RO9 one shot, both of which are new names for Rodinal film developer, normally available in 500ml bottles,they have the best shelf life of any film developer bar none, it lasts forever, indeed, I have used rodinal from bottles that were at least 25 years old, black as anything but working as well as new, and at 1/50 a bottle lasts a very long time, as far as fixer goes then the concentrate lasts a lot longer than 6 months, I have bought 5 litre containers that last me well over a year, nearer 18 months,as for stop bath, you really don't need it, just use 3 changes of water as a stop, with 15 inversions per change
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can get small dark brown glass bottles with a screw top from a Pharmacy, say no more than 100cc then you can decant the stock solution into them and use one bottle at a time. Shelf life is greatly extended even with part used bottles. If you really want to help even more, you can use glass beads to displace the developer in the bottles and exclude almost all the air. I got a load of mine from a junk shop from old costume jewellery which was broken up and the shop owner was just going to throw them away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about New Zealand, but 1 liter packet is about 1/2 the price of 1 gallon packet. Unless you use very little, there's no price advantage for buying small.

I now use Ilford Rapid Fixer. (the liquid kind) Although the datasheet says use within 6 months of opening, it remained good for well over a year. Perhaps longer but I used it all by year and a half mark. As far as developers go, I use D-76 (Ilford ID-11) Mix 1 gallon and put them in 8 oz (250cc) bottles. They last at least 9 months. Again, because of price difference, it makes no sense for me to buy any smaller.

I tried mixing my own also. At the quantities I buy, the chemical cost is actually higher than buying pre-mixed.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest buying bigger volumes of chems then. There is no better cost savings than being able to mix up what you need, not to mention the PITA taking all those extra steps just to make the volumes of what you are forced to make not to go bad. And when the world ends.... you can still develop film..
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    I probably won't do more than 20 or even 10 rolls a year. I do color slide too and that stuff with the computer

The powder Ilford developers at the recommended 1+1 is fine. 1L of stock mixed up can do 6 rolls in that 6 months time, adhearing to Ilford's advice.

I have set up my spreadsheet for it.... Will get to test the fixer then .... Won't be replenishing the others though. Re: Ilfotol. That is a dilution 1+200. For a 300ml tank that uses 1.5ml only. Ilfotol only come in 1L sizes? So as a developer only in the rinse that's a lot of liquid right? I don't have the facilities to do wet prints yet .....

Will use smaller glass bottles, probably easier to manage, a bottle per 2 rolls of development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfotol is a wetting agent. It will last you a long, long time.

I had a small, 250ml or so glass bottle of Photo-flo (the Kodak alternative) that lasted over 20 years, due to the fact that I only used it for some of my film.

It is the least expensive chemical you will lose.

With respect to the rest of the chemistry, I'd suggest that you do an exercise. Estimate the least number of rolls you will develop in six months. Then add up the cost of all the chemicals you will be using on those rolls, assuming you will only be able to use them for that length of time. Divide that total by that number of rolls - you will have the maximum cost per roll.

Bet you turn out to do more film, and that the chemicals will last longer than six months.

And for film developer, consider HC-110 or the Ilford alternative or the current version of Rodinal - the concentrates last a very long time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin