Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R09 failure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Actually I've tested two Fomapan 100 rolls, exposed with two different cameras (Nikon F90x and Olympus trip 35), bracketed and used two different diluitions (1+25 and 1+50).
    Same results: underdeveloped negs.
    Forgive me if I misunderstand... but testing two rolls is not much of a test.

There are SO MANY variables. When you see underdeveloped negatives it just means... you need to develop them longer. Product failure is usually about the last culprit. Temperature / forgetting to shake the bottle / a mistake or two in mixing / not testing for your own times / too gentle or infrequent agitation (I could go on) are all more likely culprits than product failure at this point.

I'm currently dabbling in D23 but I have been using Rodinal / Adonal (whatever it is called now) for several years and never had a bad batch. I've certainly made mistakes during that time and produced bad negatives though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only mistake I've made with R09 is mixing 1+100 and looking at 1+25 times--doh!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have never shaken a bottle of HC-110...I do not think that stuff ever separates...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Odd, very odd. I've been using Rodinal (and now Adonal from Freestyle) for nearly 30 years. Only once has it let me down. I had only 10mg left in a bottle and used it to do a roll. 20mg leftover was enough, but 10mg didn't cut it. I guess everything has some sort of shelf-life. Other than that, Rodinal has been great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    I have formed the habit of shaking the bottle before using.
    I do this with everything: milk, orange juice, paint; so why not developer.
    Discovered this with old Rodinal that had sat for several months.
    If there are two or more ingredients, and the product sits for any length of time seperation will occur.
    While it might not do any harm with Rodinal, I would generally advise against shaking developers, as it will introduce oxygen into the solution, which will have a negative impact on the life expectancy of most developing agents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
    While it might not do any harm with Rodinal, I would generally advise against shaking developers, as it will introduce oxygen into the solution, which will have a negative impact on the life expectancy of most developing agents.
    I also don't shake my Rodinal ever as sometimes it does crystallize. Those crystals do not dissolve from the shaking so you end up having crystals on your film. I just use whatever's left without the crystals, works fine
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I also don't shake my Rodinal ever as sometimes it does crystallize. Those crystals do not dissolve from the shaking so you end up having crystals on your film. I just use whatever's left without the crystals, works fine
    I've recently started making and using home made traditional Rodinal, and the size of the crystals has amazed me. A few days ago I used about 10 ml from a 50 ml bottle and when I looked at the bottle a couple of days later I noticed two massive crystals about 15 mm square and about 6 mm thick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have been using a Sodium version of Rodinal for over a year now. No crystals, no loss in activity. If I can find the formula I wrote down (I know I wrote it down somewhere!) I will post it.

I mix everything myself these days, except for rapid fix. The last bottle of Rodinal (or whatever it was called) ended up having huge crystals in it which was disconcerting. I decided to make a Rodinal replacement so I don't have to rely on any of the different versions that are out there. I sure wish Agfa was still around. Never had an issue with their Rodinal.

I think Ian was going to do a big treatise on Rodinal. I anxiously await it.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water absorption?
    Last edited by clayne; 08-17-2013 at 11:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Isn't R09 the one that is known for expiring very fast? It's not the Original Rodinal that's for sure.

About Kodak, I must admit that they we're the absolute Champs of QC and overall Quality products. They we're PERFECTION all the way. They still are. Let's hope they can salvage what's left.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin