Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,535   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R09 failure

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Isn't R09 the one that is known for expiring very fast? It's not the Original Rodinal that's for sure.

About Kodak, I must admit that they we're the absolute Champs of QC and overall Quality products. They we're PERFECTION all the way. They still are. Let's hope they can salvage what's left.
    I developed a film yesterday in RO9/one shot,from a bottle that is well over 4 years old and it was perfect, so as far as I can see the RO9, keeps as well as the original Rodinal, I use the same dilutions and times as I have used for Rodinal which I have been using since I first started using rodinal, which was so many years ago I have lost track. and I have yet to find any rodinal, either as Rodinal or any of it's new names, have let me down.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Isn't R09 the one that is known for expiring very fast? It's not the Original Rodinal that's for sure.
    R09 was the formula number however Agfa always called it Rodinal. When Agfa split after WWWII both East and West German branches called it Rodinal however when the western side merged with Gevaert they paid Orwo compensation in return for giving up the trade names, Orwo called Rodinal R09 from that point as does their successor Calbe.

Agfa Gevaert then modified their Rodinal by dropping the level of p-aminophenol but increasing the pH, making it far easier to manufacture, this is still made today in the same former Agfa factory and sold as R09 One Shot, Adonal etc and is no different to the Rodinal sold until recently by Agfa . Unfortunately because John of J&C in the US the Rodinal trade name can't be used any longer, he registered the it there Agfa is still in existance but have no financial interest in resolving trade name issues for companies they sold off.

So the question quite rightly is who made that R09. J&C were selling Calbe R09 in packaging mimicking Agfa Rodinal, and that caused legal issues around the time J&C ceased trading.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why is J&C still interested in any of this, BTW? Seems like the right thing to do by giving up the name.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Why is J&C still interested in any of this, BTW? Seems like the right thing to do by giving up the name.
    I think there were health issues with the owner of J&C and the damage had already been done, a Canadian company had registered the Trade name there as well.

Part of the problem then was the names belonged to Agfa and not the companies that took over parts of the former consumer photo division and some coating/chemistry.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-18-2013 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    T RO9, Calbe/adox apho9,Etc does not do as well as the rodinal/ro9one shot/adonal we love today, It tends to crystalize badly and when I used it, and I did like the results, I would buy a litre bottle, the only size available at the time, but over two bottles I dumped around a third of the litre as it lost potency and was more crystal than liqued, so I went back to first of all Rodina, then RO9 one shot from Maco/Rollei, and never had a problem with it,I see lately that Adox are now selling the APH09 in 500 ml containers, amd the other ro9, which is the Foma, and is the same older formula as the APH09, is sold in 250ml containers, so if the OP was using the original RO9/apho9 type then it is possible to have a failure,
    Richard

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    I will stick only with Kodak products. In 15 years they never let me down a SINGLE time.
    Kodak destroyed ALL my Kodachrome films at their german lab. Back in the 70's, photographs from a unique journey.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Kodak destroyed ALL my Kodachrome films at their german lab. Back in the 70's, photographs from a unique journey.
    Afaik Kodak had only a lab for Kodachrome, in Switzerland not in Germany.
    I was referring to Kodak chemistry, not Kodak labs.
    Still repute Kodak as the best there is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always wondered is it RO9 or R09?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I always wondered is it RO9 or R09?
    R 09

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The swiss lab just was the last one in Europe to remain, there had been others.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin