Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,180   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R09 failure

Shooter
    35mm

R09 failure

Another case of R09 failure.
    New bottle bought 17th April 2013, bottle unopened and sealed until yesterday.
    Tried to develop a Fomapan 100 classic roll (1+50 for 8,5 minutes, 20°C).
    Results: underdeveloped a lot.
    Also the leader is a faint black.
    R09 bottle poured down the drain. Developer colour dark red with some grey hues.
    I'd say: R09 shot!
    I will stick only with Kodak products. In 15 years they never let me down a SINGLE time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd have sent it back where you got it from and obtained a credit-note for another product. Any European supplier must accept bad-product returns and will themselves get a credit from the wholesaler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have tested further first it's easy to make a mixing mistake.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I'd have tested further first it's easy to make a mixing mistake.

Ian
    Actually I've tested two Fomapan 100 rolls, exposed with two different cameras (Nikon F90x and Olympus trip 35), bracketed and used two different diluitions (1+25 and 1+50).
    Same results: underdeveloped negs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems you encountered. I understand your anger and know this won't bring your precious pictures back, but just a suggestion ... If you or anyone else encounters such a problem again, I suggest you bring this to the attention of the manufacturer (maco?). That means, send them a formal complaint, maybe together with the remaining developer and the underdeveloped film.

Shooter
    35mm
    A pity that you have poured it down the drain. You may be finished with Rodinal but by sending it back you (a) get a refund or different product and (b) help Maco to identify a potential product defect which unless yours are the only two bottles to be affected will have ruined others' development. So you are helping yourself and indirectly other customers and Maco itself.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance your thermometer is not correct? I had that problem a couple of years back, and realized it when I compared my thermometer to a Kodak mercury unit. Developing at colder temps require more time than posted on spec sheets.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have formed the habit of shaking the bottle before using.
    I do this with everything: milk, orange juice, paint; so why not developer.
    Discovered this with old Rodinal that had sat for several months.
    If there are two or more ingredients, and the product sits for any length of time seperation will occur.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Another case of R09 failure.

I will stick only with Kodak products. In 15 years they never let me down a SINGLE time.
    Thanks, I won't argue against that!

I am sorry to hear of your problem with the current incarnation of Rodinal.

While I stick to D-76 for its reliability (and because I work for Kodak, but this is my opinion and not necessarily that of EKC), you may want to run tests of any developer until you become confident in it again. The test can be simple as dropping a snip of the film into a tray with the mixed developer and count the seconds until it starts turning black.

That simple test should catch this potential problem and help you regain confidence which I am sure is shaken after suffering a developer failure.

I'm more confident when I run full tests on my film to find appropriate exposure index and development times... If you get interested in that, I can guide you there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin