Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,573   Online: 797

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to do a regimented developing of a roll of HP5 in D76 and see what happens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do see the scratches (parallel marks in a variety of directions), but I was trying to address the "wavy lines" described by OP - which I really don't see in his pics. So I probably shouldn't have commented at all.
    Last edited by silveror0; 08-17-2013 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As two types of film base are affected, and presumably two styles of film development are used, a common cause seems to lie outside the actual processing. I find it hard to believe the idea that pre-soaking the film can scratch the non-emulsion side. So I'd like to ask how the film is stored before use? In a freezer compartment of a fridge or just in the cool compartment? And how quickly is it normally warmed up to room temperature?

Steve
    Last edited by 250swb; 08-18-2013 at 02:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep the film in the fridge until it is ready to be used. There is usually a couple of hours between storage removal and use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Have these negatives been printed yet? Do the lines show up in prints? If they do not, then why worry about it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to sacrifice a sheet right out of the box to check for problems. You can always use it for fixer checks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What was your temperature control like ? By that I mean how accurate and consistent between all the stages of processing including washing. It looks like the emulsion has been significantly softened, maybe has reticulated, it would scratch incredibly easily.

I use HP5 it's my film of choice for hand-held LF work and I find the results outstanding, I also process at 26-27°C when in Turkey, that's the water temperature in the Summer and it's easier to be consistent, however I've never had a problem with HP5, Delta 100 & 400, Tmax 100, or Fomapan 100 & 200.

Rodinal contains Potassium Hydroxide and that can soften emulsions, along with poor temperature controls you might get issues. I say might because I never used HP5 & Rodinal although I used Rodinal for over 25 years with other films again no problems personally. I jave seen a problem with someone else processing.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quit squeegeeing the film. Use a good surfactant such as LFN after washing instead. This can easily be the source of all of your scratches, both straight and wiggly.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Snay 1345,

Firstly, I am sorry you have experienced an issue with an ILFORD film.

I cannot be 100% certain, you cannot be until you see the negs but its highly unlikely to be a problem with manufacture, especially across the two formats.

We have a QC ( quality control ) list where I can see any current QC's in our system, we have none related to HP5+ at all across any format at present.

The most important thing is that you bought an ILFORD film, you are obviously entitled to have it checked out, you need to tell us the batch numbers and return the negs to us ( Marked for technical service HARMAN technology LImited at the UK address ) and importantly tell us if you want the negs back, we will then examine the film and tell you what it is.

You will get one of three answers : Cause Justified = A problem existed in manufacture
    Cause Not Certain = We cannot be conclusive as to the cause
    Cause Not Justified = No problem in manufacture

If its the first or second we will obviously replace the film free of charge.

Finally some contributors mentioned pre-washing : Firstly HARMAN technology Limited do not recommend pre-washing as we do not believe it is required for even development of modern coated emulsions, BUT If you choose to pre-wash it, it is perfectly safe to do so ( but as with all films not overlong ) and will not harm the film in anyway.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    I have these long wavy lines on whole length of the hp5+ 120 film. Development process was like this: pre-wash 2x30 secs, Rodinal 1+50 for 12 minutes, agitation 45 secs + 10 secs every minute, quick wash, stop bath 90 secs, quick wash, 1st fixer 90secs, 2nd fixer 90secs, ilford wash method, 120secs final wash in ilfotol 1+200 solution. Hanged to dry without squeegeeing. I have crud in city water so i use demi water in whole process.

What could have caused it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130823_142137.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin