Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,233   Online: 1114

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Misko78 View Post
    I have these long wavy lines on whole length of the hp5+ 120 film. Development process was like this: pre-wash 2x30 secs, Rodinal 1+50 for 12 minutes, agitation 45 secs + 10 secs every minute, quick wash, stop bath 90 secs, quick wash, 1st fixer 90secs, 2nd fixer 90secs, ilford wash method, 120secs final wash in ilfotol 1+200 solution. Hanged to dry without squeegeeing. I have crud in city water so i use demi water in whole process.

What could have caused it?
    I'd say you have a water drying problem. Almost looks like lime/calcium deposits streaking the film. The next roll you dry try hanging it horizontal. I do this most of the time now with my 120 film. The water droplets have less distance to travel and much less time to leave deposits on your film. If you dry horizontal and still have the marks, but going in a direction across the film you'll then know it's a water drying problem. Might be your demi water or wetting agent. I always used way to much Kodak Photo-Flo and always had spotting problems. I learned that more is not always better! Also, it seems that your fix times are on the short side, but I don't use two bath for film. I do for prints, but not film. If there is a problem with the film you'd hear a huge uproar and we're not hearing that. Since there is not an outcry I'd say it's something "in home" that's causing you the grief. Hanging the film horizontal to dry would be a very good place to start. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for an answer, I'll certainly try horizontal drying it's very logical. I never had problem with my workflow with 35mm film, and i did many rolls with tap water, i switched to demi because EFKE(ADOX) 25 is a magnet for crud from water, i don't know, maybe 10 times more than other films. I'm new to a 120 format, friend gifted me a Pentacon Six and i really enjoy in it. As for a fix time, Fomafix (rapid fixer) instruction says 3 minutes in 1+5 solution for film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Misko

A few thoughts:
    I use HP5+ quite a bit, in both 120 and 4x5 and have not seen anything like what you are seeing. My 'normal' process is:
    I use a Jobo processor, so temperature and agitation are very consistent from one processing session to the next.
    I presoak for 1min in tap water.
    I mix my developer, stop and fix from liquid, and use distilled water.
    After fix, I wash in tap water.
    As a final step I let the film soak in a bath of distilled water with a wetting agent (edwal?) and then hang the film from a corner, so that as the water sheets off, it has a corner for that last drop to migrate to.

I do not squeege per-se, but I do gently wipe the roll film between my fingers to get some of the water off.

The negatives usually hang overnight in my (relatively dust free) darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Misko78 View Post
    Thanks for an answer, I'll certainly try horizontal drying it's very logical. I never had problem with my workflow with 35mm film, and i did many rolls with tap water, i switched to demi because EFKE(ADOX) 25 is a magnet for crud from water, i don't know, maybe 10 times more than other films. I'm new to a 120 format, friend gifted me a Pentacon Six and i really enjoy in it. As for a fix time, Fomafix (rapid fixer) instruction says 3 minutes in 1+5 solution for film.
    Like I said, I've never used a two-bath fix for film so I probably shouldn't have commented on your fix time. I'm using a homebrew alki fix and my times are longer. Still, the horizontal hanging would give you a clue that's for sure. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, Mr. Gallery, but I can confirm the presence of this problem on a roll of 120 film I just shot, purchased recently in Tokyo, Japan. The scratches on the base side of my 120 HP5+ are identical to those shown by snay1345 above. I developed Kodak film rolls shot before and after this one in the same camera and developed them in the same tank. This is clearly a manufacturing problem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Nevsky187,

Firstly I am extremely sorry you have experienced a problem with an ILFORD Photo product as always we are happy to check out your film :

As to your statement 'this is clearly a manufacturing problem' that is absolutely your opinion to which of course you are absolutely entitled, I would suggest since we are the manufacturer I would be in a position to actually tell you if that was the case, but until I see the film I cannot and nor can anyone else. As of 10.33 GMT today we have four quality complaints from customers worldwide under investigation for HP5+ ( all formats ).

The number of 'Justified' complaints, in other words a manufacturing defect is quite frankly tiny, and usually we are able to determine what 'did' cause any issue fairly quickly.

As you have a problem similar or identical to another poster you have obviously formed your own opinion, I would suggest that the best course of action would be to follow some of the other posters advice and send the affected film to us where it goes through a process that means you will get a definitive answer regarding your quality complaint. If it does have a manufacturing fault you will told that and the film will also be replaced.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Are we talking about the white marks in the pictures? They really do look like some form of deposit rather than scratches, which would presumably be some kind of deposit from water and/or drying agent, or some external deposit onto the film while wet. Does a rewash have any effect? And can you identify anything more with a strong magnifier (or even access to a simple microscope)?

Other than that, I don't think anything more can be deduced from the samples as shown here without examining the actual film, and Ilford themselves would seem to be the best people to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the pictures I see faults presented different. Photo 2 and Photo + Photo 1.
    In Photo 2, if you look (reflected light ) you see scratch on the surface of emulsion or support?
    Or failure seems to be in depth of film?
    Examine negatives in reflected light (the emulsion and support).
    Watch the light shine emulsion and support. If everything appears continuously without failure, then the problem is inside the movie. Is not a sratche surface that shines in the film depth.
    I saw some problems that seem to me somewhat similar, the other negative (cine).
    In the form of points with a small tail. We have told comets.
    After my appreciation the depth were in the film.
    These problems we saw and on virgin film. Veiled negative after development where these issues were is not black but bright white.
    An correct evaluation can only be made having the film in hand.

George

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin