Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,734   Online: 841

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shot in Existing Darkness: Recommendations for Development of HP5 shot at 3200 ISO?

Expecting to shoot in a "modern facility" (the Jasper Activity Center doubles as a hockey arena in the winter months), I brought along a brick of HP5 and 6 rolls of Delta 3200 to photograph the Heritage Rodeo last night. The Delta 3200 was to be my "insurance policy;" I had expected to shoot the HP5 at 1600 and process it in Diafine. However, the place was like shooting in the Black Hole of Calcutta: pot lighting illuminated some areas up to a stop-and-a-half brighter than others; I decided to forgo color entirely and concentrate on the black and white. At ISO 3200, the best I could do was to shoot the 300mm wide open at 1/500h at F2.8 and the 80-200mm at the same. Quickly running out of Delta 3200 ( I have never shot rodeo before, hence the large amount of film for a 2 1/2 hour event), I turned to the HP5. While I have shot both HP5 and Tri-X at ISO 1600, 3200 is a first. So, what developer would/should I use for this film? I doubt I will print larger than 8"x12", if that influences the answer.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Check the Ilford data sheets I recall they recommend Microphen and DDX for push processing HP5 up to 3200.

Shooter
    35mm
    Never used Microphen but it is said to increase film speed by maybe half a stop so you have a film at, say EI 600 which needs pushing by about 2.5 stops to 3200. Sounds do-able with the usual drawbacks for pushing.

I'd be interested in how HP5+ pushed to 3200 compares to D3200 at EI 3200 and you are in the ideal position to let us know, having shot both at same event and in same lighting conditions

It might help some here to decide if HP5+ pushed to 3200 beats D3200 at 3200.

I for one would appreciate scans of each film for comparison and your conclusions. Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some tests with HP5+ in the developer Donald Qualls formulated and called "Super Soup", and found that 3200 seemed to be about right. Negative scans at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...7620654443216/, at speeds from 1600 to 12800 (yes, really).

It's basically a strong dilution of HC-110 using Dektol stock instead of water, with the addition of some ascorbic acid. Powerful stuff, but producing surprisingly normal-looking negatives for such an extreme push.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    The shot of Sadie at 12800 looks pretty amazing. She may be slightly better at 6400 but this may simply because she is closer.

How grainy was the film and was it 120 or 135, where might we find the Donald Qualls "Super Soup" that you used?

Will a search of APUG using the words "Super Soup" find it?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words. That was 120; I don't think I've used it on 35mm. Remember that scanners deal well with thin negatives, though, so in a wet print I suspect it'd be quite challenging to get any shadow detail in the higher-EI shots.

The problem with a white dog as a subject is that she doesn't really showcase the shadow detail, so you have to look to the background to see much about the speed gain. It'd be interesting to see actual curves for this developer, but I don't have the equipment or the patience.

The recipe has been posted on APUG, and should still be at http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photo...d%20Times.html along with some other interesting things. Donald Qualls used to be a regular participant here; I don't know if he's still lurking or has moved on to other things or what.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that link Nathan. It's bookmarked now.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used XTOL for pushing HP5 3 stops with good results:

http://www.lamarlamb.com/Sports-And-...5428&k=T3nCb65

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin