Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,084   Online: 910

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Panatomic-X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some experimentation during the 80's with films available then and some different developer formulations and was able to get very pronounced edge effects. In fact they were so obvious that the images were worthless for pictorial purposes.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    As the French would say "Tout passé, tout casse, tout lasse."
    Translation software turned this into:

Any past, any break-in, very tired

Hmm....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by martinjames View Post
    Translation software turned this into:

Any past, any break-in, very tired

Hmm....
    Some years ago I was working at Cape Canaveral. New word processing software insisted on correcting NASA to nauseous.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I developed loads of Panatomic-X back in the day using Tetenal Neofin Blue (it came in glass vials then)--best negs I ever had--smooth grain and rapturous tonality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I did some experimentation during the 80's with films available then and some different developer formulations and was able to get very pronounced edge effects. In fact they were so obvious that the images were worthless for pictorial purposes.
    I've seen some stand developed images (some of them my own) that crossed that threshold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been recently re-acquiring more rolls of Pan X in both 35mm and 120. I do find there is a slight fog to these films which make the grain larger then it originally was when fresh. That said the film was still very usable. I even found some Pan X in 4x5 dated from the late 60s/ early 70s (I forget which). Its a lovely film and we even talked to Kodak to ask if they could reintroduce the film to make new stock of it. That said Kodak is only a high volume film producer, so making Pan X would not fly. Plus they'd have to re-engineer the film to remove chemicals/ other that have come to be listed as toxic, etc. Now that the film division is under new management with the pension group, I would wonder if they would again consider it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's probably more likely than getting Kodachrome back. ;-)

More likely still would be for Adox, if the new CHS II 100 film based on Efke formulas sells, to make a version of the Efke 25. I don't know how similar that is/was to Pan-X but it would be a slow film choice. There are folks on LFPF clamoring for a slow 25 range speed sheet film. I'd have quite limited use for anything that slow but might play around with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, I'm not a member on LFPF but are people explaining why they want such a slow film? Is it based on a desire to do long exposures without ND filters etc., or is there something else? I know people used to like APX 25 but not sure if they are looking for a reboot of that or something different.

Regarding Pan-X specifically, the thing most unique about it (at the time) was that it was a high resolution, very fine grained film (therefore the low speed) that had a long scale and moderate (read "normal") contrast, as opposed to the more typical short scale, high contrast gradation of slow speed, high res, fine grained films. Of course now there are 100 speed films that do the same thing, but at the time, or at least early on, Pan-X was fairly unique in that respect as far as I know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't really read that far, but you can read the thread without being a member:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...and-White-Film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I have been recently re-acquiring more rolls of Pan X in both 35mm and 120. I do find there is a slight fog to these films which make the grain larger then it originally was when fresh.
    I get the feeling it lost nothing over time, no increased fog, no larger grain (at least in 35mm). I compared a vintage print from a negative shot and developed when Panatomic-X was fresh... to a current print on freshly shot and developed but expired Panatomic-X. In terms of graininess, I can't tell the vintages apart.

I believe our collective memory of its fine grain, is a glowing reputation earned through the passage of time.

It was a bit grainy and still is.

This is my own opinion formed on the basis of a limited test. This may not agree with your findings (you might still be right) or those of my employer, EKC.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin