Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,849   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing beats Multigrade FB matt (5K) if you like dead matt surface. It's my favorite paper for the surface alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just some thoughts:

1. MGWT, while not all-out brown warm, is still warm, not really "neutral"
    2. Re the Adox MCC 110 recommendations, isn't it only available in glossy? Furthermore the glossy sheen was slightly more glossy than MGIV (at least in the batch I tested). It is also said to be on the slightly warm side of neutral (untoned).

All things considered I'd still say MGIV is the best bet. An alternative might be Oriental VC-FB II, which is neutral but tones more cool-purple in Selenium than MGIV in my experience (although the purple colour is not necessarily viewed as cold the way blue-black is). As far as I remember it is cheaper than Ilford. At least one reliable source told me it was made by Ilford. I can't confirm that either way.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The more I use MGIV the more I've grown to like it as my all around paper. I can achieve wonderful cool neutral prints with selenium, beautiful split tones with sepia/selenium, and nice brownish sepia tones over the entire tonal range by indirect polysulfide toning (similar look to direct polysulfide toning on MGWT).

One thing I haven't messed with yet is trying to persuade MGIV to split tone in selenium like MGWT. I heard it's possible with redevelopers, but I have yet to try! MGWT is beautiful split toned in selenium and direct toned in polysulfide, but for everything else I prefer MGIV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin