Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,006   Online: 759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a new FB paper

Hey everyone, I havn't been in the darkroom for a long time and I have missed it so! I am looking for a new B&W FB paper to print on.
    I am open to all recommendations, though I am more interested in neutraltone or coldtone. Anything with a great tonal range is of course optimal. Also cheap is nice, but I would rather pay more if it is a better paper. I am not so interested in glossy either. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford MGIV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Ilford MGIV.
    +1

Ilford MGIV, to me, is like a staple of photography. Not exotic and therefore sometimes overlooked.

But I think you'd have a hard time finding any paper at any price with more dynamic range nor as consistent of results as MGIV.

Its only drawback is that it doesn't Lith but Ilford Warmtone does.
    Last edited by pstake; 08-18-2013 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford MGIV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adox MCC 110

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for Adox MCC 110. It is an outstanding paper with a great look and feel all around.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My vote also goes for Ilford MGIV. It is incredibly consistent paper, is available in many places at a reasonable cost, and is not likely to disappear any time soon.
    The only disadvantages I think Ilford MGIV has is that in most developers it gives a tiny hint of a green warm shadow color, and the shadows are not as well defined as other papers out there. It's not that big of a deal either of them, the green tone disappears almost immediately with selenium toning, but the shadows, well they are what they are.

Adox MCC 110 is a little bit more open in the shadows, for better or worse. It's a great paper, and I have nothing bad to say about ADOX as a company either.
    It's just that Ilford is Ilford, and they have been such reliable partners over the years, especially with product stability.

Both papers are fine. You may also wish to look at the Foma range of papers. The Fomabrom 111 (glossy) and 112 (matte) are fine papers. A bit more muted tones than either the Ilford or the ADOX, but that just means you need a bit more negative contrast to begin with, and you are similar starting points. Base is warmer than ADOX and Ilford too.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My vote is for Ilford Warmtone , its not as warm as one would expect , IMO the best paper out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My vote is for Ilford Warmtone , its not as warm as one would expect , IMO the best paper out there.
    I second that. If you minimize washing times (just what is necessary to keep things archival) it will help keep the paper "cooler".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Very true; I noticed that too, about it being quite a bit less warm than I had expected. Beautiful paper, for sure.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin