Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,022   Online: 1006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Acufine Developer Question

Hey all -
    Inherited some vintage Acufine -- in sealed cans, no less. Mixed up a batch and the test rolls turned out great.

I'm using it stock - my question:

Can I return it to the container and re-use it?

I've heard veteran users do this, until negs start to thin slightly, when they simply mix up a new batch.

Is this feasible? I'm shooting Tri-X, FWIW.

Thanks for any help, I've not used this developer before but like the results and like shooting at EI-1000.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can re-use a dev and the general rule is to add 5% time to each successive roll.

However, it may be in your best interest to dilute Acufine 1+1 and then toss. That way you get repeatable results and never have to worry about the number of rolls you've already run thru the stock solution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Acufine without replenishment can handle 15 roll or equivalent per quart without adjustment, adding 2% to development time for an additional 15 rolls.

If you keep it for a long time and haven't used it for a while, test it with a film leader to be sure it's active. It can crash if exposed to high ambient temperatures. I find my 5 quart tank lasts around 6 months unreplenished. You can still buy the replenisher, if you want to use it that way, and it is very reliable and will go for a long time, if it isn't exposed to high temperature.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good point about the replenisher!

I mixed up a gallon container (whatever the can makes, hey what do I know we use the metric system up here) and just use a single or double metal reel tank's worth each time. So I could dump that little bit of used bit into the fresh, larger, container...I have at least a dozen more cans.

Thanks, fellows.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin