Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,183   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It works for me well enough that I have two bags of xtol that will likely never get mixed.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm doing one slow inversion every 30 seconds for A and one slow inversion every minute for B, no presoak.

I'm using 2x 120 reels (both loaded with 120) in a stainless steel tank designed for 2x 120 reels. I'm placing a 35mm reel on top as a spacer so the reels don't move around in the tank too much.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I have been working with Thorton's Two Bath Developer (120 roll film on stainless reels) for the past couple of months. I have had excellent luck so far and am settling into an agitation pattern. I have The Edge of Darkness and have done quite a bit of "web" reading on this developer.

I am especially curious about how others are agitating their roll film on stainless reels. This seems to be where the biggest variances occur.

Also, I have been experimenting with Barry's N+ recommendation of a bath B using 20g of Sodium Metaborate instead of the normal 12g. (I have not yet needed an N- that the normal processing didn't handle). When using these variations, are you sticking with your normal agitation or changing that as well?

Thanks for your input.
    Firstly, I do not use metal tanks - so this should be taken into consideration - but have exclusively used Barry Thornton's two-bath developer with 120 Delta 400 film for many many years.

The processing sequence that works for me (using Paterson plastic tanks) is as follows:

00:00 pre-soak with constant agitation
    01:45 drain pre-soak out of the tank
    02:00 Pour Bath A in and invert 4 times in the first 30 seconds followed by a sharp tap on the bottom of the tank to dislodge any possible air bubbles. Then one gentle inversion every 30 seconds always followed by a sharp tap on the bottom of the tank to dislodge any possible air bubbles.
    06:45 Pour Bath A out of tank into a jug.
    07:00 Pour Bath B in and invert 4 times in the first 30 seconds followed by a sharp tap on the bottom of the tank to dislodge any possible air bubbles. Then one gentle inversion every 30 seconds always followed by a sharp tap on the bottom of the tank to dislodge any possible air bubbles.
    11:45 Pour Bath B out of tank into a jug.
    12:00 Pour in water stop bath and agitate constantly
    12:45 Pour water stop bath out into the drain.
    13:00 Pour in fix and agitate constantly
    15:00 Remove films from tank and place into a large jug of water and leave until all of the pink dye is removed from the film then return the film to the fix for a further 2 minutes.
    Finally, wash using the Ilford method.

A note on mixing the chemicals and use
    • I mix up 1 litre of Bath A (my tank is the 1 litre version that can accommodate up to 4 films) and store in a 1 litre dark brown glass bottle. This one litre is sufficient for 24 films (but note the following point about Bath B).
    • I mix up two litres of Bath B at the normal 12g of Sodium Metaborate (which are stored in two 1 litre dark brown glass bottles) and use each bottle of Bath B for 12 films and then discard.
    • I mix up one litre of Bath B at the N+ dilution of 20g of Sodium Metaborate (which is stored in a 1 litre dark brown glass bottles) and use rarely when needed.

A note on the N-, N and N+ dilutions
    • 99% of all my photographs are developed with the N version of Bath B. I have never had any negative where I felt that it should have been developed using the N- version of Bath B.
    • The N+ version of Bath B is useful but not in the sense of a strict +1 stop expansion (which can be much better achieved by selenium toning the negative). If I photograph something that has dark shadows and bright highlights but also a significant part of the scene is relatively lacking in mid-tone separation then I use the N+ version of Bath B. This has a significant effect on expanding the mid-tones of a scene that was lacking such a mid-tone separation.

Having just quickly looked through the 100 odd images on my website, there are 6 photographs where I used the N+ Bath B and all of the rest were developed using the normal Bath B.

Best of luck finding your own best way of using Thornton's two-bath developer - it is a great, reliable and cheap developer.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff and David,
    Thank you both very much for your input. I appreciate it!

I wonder if either of you could let me know the process by which you arrived at your agitation procedures? Did you hit any bumps or make any interesting observations along the way?

Thanks again, fellows. =)
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 08-20-2013 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use original Stoeckler's formula and I do not agitate much. Neither I pre-soak film (my understanding is emulsion should be soaked with bath A solution). Yes, I do initial agitation and tap to rid off bubbles, then little agitation once every 2-3 minutes if I remember and near by. Same with bath B. To control contrast I do change developing time in bath A; the more you develop in A the more contrast you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerald,
    Could you elaborate a bit? 5s initially and then 5s every minute... Does that apply to both Bath A as well as Bath B?
    Thank you.
    Sorry I had intended to mention that it applies to both baths. With this !@#$% editor it's lucky that anything gets posted.

Baumann published a nice 4 page instruction booklet on their developers which gave detailed instructions on agitation.

Jerry
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wonder if either of you could let me know the process by which you arrived at your agitation procedures? Did you make hit any bumps or make any interesting observations along the way?
    No problem! I went off of Barry Thornton's writings on the process mostly. I use my tank setup because that's what I've always used, since I was taught in college.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gerald,
    Could you elaborate a bit? 5s initially and then 5s every minute... Does that apply to both Bath A as well as Bath B?
    Thank you.
    Gerald,
    Nevermind, I searched and found an official Diafine PDF with the recommendations you mention. Thanks again for pointing that out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Sorry I had intended to mention that it applies to both baths. With this !@#$% editor it's lucky that anything gets posted.

Baumann published a nice 4 page instruction booklet on their developers which gave detailed instructions on agitation.

Jerry
    Gerald,
    We must have been posting at the same time! =) I found that booklet this morning. Thanks again!

I may do a test with those procedures and compare them them to what I've been doing. That is significantly less agitation than I have been using, especially for that first minute in Bath A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    No problem! I went off of Barry Thornton's writings on the process mostly. I use my tank setup because that's what I've always used, since I was taught in college.
    Thank you, Jeff!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ed1k View Post
    I use original Stoeckler's formula and I do not agitate much. Neither I pre-soak film (my understanding is emulsion should be soaked with bath A solution). Yes, I do initial agitation and tap to rid off bubbles, then little agitation once every 2-3 minutes if I remember and near by. Same with bath B. To control contrast I do change developing time in bath A; the more you develop in A the more contrast you get.
    Thank you for that. Could you elaborate a bit on exactly HOW you agitate? I'm especially interested in that because it seems (so far in my limited testing) that agitation makes as big a difference in the highlights as the amount of time in Bath A.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin