Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,298   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks AgX. I thought that's what I remembered. Adox maintains that Adonal is exactly the same as the final Rodinal version in every respect. And it does seem that 5ml works just fine for the vast majority of those who try it.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use rodinal at 1/50 and my tank (Patterson) takes 300 ml per 35mm film, so 6ml rodinal to 294 water works fine, for 120 10ml of rodinal to 490 of water works fine,
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Pleeeeeeese, don't buy the "stand development" hype.
    +1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "stand development hype" is saying that stand development will save any and all negatives no matter how poorly over or under exposed they might be. That's the hype - the truth is that the process will help control higlights relative to shadows, IF the original exposure is there to begin with. No matter the development technique, you can't put back in what isn't there to begin with. But just as you beg folks to not buy in to "hype", I beg you not to slam a technique you don't like, practice or understand for that reason alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Books on the zone system will usually discuss when stand or semi-stand development is appropriate. However it should not be used as a general developing technique.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried stand development a few times, and never succeeded, usually got horrible over-development. *For me*, it didn't work at varying temperatures and only one or no agitation.

I went back to basics, and now use original Orwo R09 at 1+40. In my Paterson tank, I use 350ml of solution (8.75 ml of concentrate). Original R09 is about 20% less concentrated than Rodinal, so that equates to 7ml of Rodinal in my tank.

I use more solution than the minimum, and my negatives are far, far better, and more important, are now of consistant quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Books on the zone system will usually discuss when stand or semi-stand development is appropriate. However it should not be used as a general developing technique.
    For people whose negatives will never see the inside of a darkroom (i.e. their negatives will only ever be scanned), it is however probably perfectly good as a general-purpose technique (assuming one can avoid bromide drag and whatnot); and some of course who do "print wet" will find it produces negatives that print well for them

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From Agfa's instructions (pdf file, 2003)

Yield
    One-shot developer: with 500 ml concentrate about fifty films
    (135-36 or 120 roll-film) can be developed.

Although one can get away with less, and I'm sure there are variables, such as how much contrast you need, 10mL per unit of film isn't extravagant. I've always wondered what the difference is between attaining a certain contrast level by exhausting very dilute developer, such as 3mL to 5mL per film, and attaining the same overall contrast with more developer by limiting the dev time (same concentration, more volume).

Incidentally, Agfa's own dev times were for pretty robust contrast (gamma=0.65).

Shooter
    35mm
    . What is the minimal amount of Rodinal for a 135 36exp roll of film? I found online some number like 3ml. Would like to confirm the number.

Hey, I have been experimenting with Rodinal. I have been using 1ml of Rodinal per 300ml of water and have been amazed at the results. If you want my process, email me: damonff@gmail.com. I have used TMAX 400 and Tech Pan so far and have achieved beautiful results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know much about it, but have been playing with Rodinal (Adonal) a bit. Recently I tried semi-stand for about an hour with 3ml per 36exp roll (Tri-X 400) in a two roll stainless tank. That's 6ml + about 480ml water (I wanted 1:100, but decided on 3ml per roll instead). They came out too dense. It's been a long time since I've been in a darkroom, but I think they'll be printable, albeit with long exposures.

Yes, I know the comments I may get from this, and yes, I read the Massive Dev Chart. I'm just playing around and experimenting, so there is no loss. I did it on purpose; this is how I learn.
    Truzi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin