Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,391   Online: 912

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    It appears that the Kentmere Bromide papers are already in stock. I pre-ordered from Freestyle & just got notification of shipment. Looking forward to trying this paper. Any recommendations of paper developer?
    I pre-ordered, too, but have not received notification of shipment. I'll give them a call....

-Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    I pre-ordered, too, but have not received notification of shipment. I'll give them a call....

-Mike
    Just got off the phone with them. I ordered:

994284 KENTMERE BROMIDE GL#2 8X10/100 Qty: 1
    9942163 KENTMERE BROMIDE GL#2 16X20/50 Qty: 1
    994384 KENTMERE BROMIDE GL#3 8X10/100 Qty: 1

They said all this is on back-order until April 15th.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Initial Test: Used Kentmere Bromide grade 2 11X14 paper. I printed a rather thin 4X5 neg (30 sec @ f/16 in enlarger) of architectural subject. I had printed it last year on Oriental Seagull VC. Used Agfa Neutol Plus for 2+ mins.

Results: Not scientific but visual (didn't Bruce Barnbaum & Fred Picker ask rhetorical question are you printing for reading by a machine or viewing by a human). Has the 3-D appearance of an AZO print. Makes the Oriental print look flat in comparison. Great detail in both shadows & highligh areas.

Highly recommended. Will place an order for the other grades because this appears to be a great paper for cool-tone prints. Only caveat - the 2 ply weight made it impossible to use in my borderless easel, so had to switch easels.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thank you

Decklededge and Doug howk -thanks to both of you for the heads up on the paper. Believe it or not I still have of pretty good stash of the Old Oriental Graded from the early nineties in the freezer but I'm running out of grade 3. Need to try some of this new bromide paper; and it's also important to let Kentmere know that we support them!
    Regards, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    Just got off the phone with them. I ordered:

994284 KENTMERE BROMIDE GL#2 8X10/100 Qty: 1
    9942163 KENTMERE BROMIDE GL#2 16X20/50 Qty: 1
    994384 KENTMERE BROMIDE GL#3 8X10/100 Qty: 1

They said all this is on back-order until April 15th.

-Mike

There is nothing more irritating than when a company introduces a new line and can't order enough product to meet the initial demand.

RRRrrrrrrrrrrggggggg
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moore
    There is nothing more irritating than when a company introduces a new line and can't order enough product to meet the initial demand.

RRRrrrrrrrrrrggggggg
    Be fair

Kentmere are a small, but innovative of late, UK manufacturer how could anyone in the ex colony predict such good sales of a new introduction.

I've used Kentmere papers for well over 30 years, they have always been superb. Your getting a better choice than we can get here.

It may well be that sales in US will allow us here to have a greater range available to us too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Be fair

Kentmere are a small, but innovative of late, UK manufacturer how could anyone in the ex colony predict such good sales of a new introduction.

I've used Kentmere papers for well over 30 years, they have always been superb. Your getting a better choice than we can get here.

It may well be that sales in US will allow us here to have a greater range available to us too.
    How am I being unfair? All I said that it's extremely irritating.

How do you feel when a local company advertises something on sale and when you go to the store they don't have it in stock??

Same thing..

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moore
    How am I being unfair? All I said that it's extremely irritating.

How do you feel when a local company advertises something on sale and when you go to the store they don't have it in stock??

Jim
    My guess is they had adequate stock but demand outstripped expectatons.

And for reasons well outside their comtrol. I mean Ilford and Forte going into reciership.

You need to try it, I mean Importing and Exporting, as far as the UK and EU is concerned they (the Useless USA) treat us the same as a third world country

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    (the Useless USA)
    I think that comment is COMPLETELY uncalled for...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    From a consumer's point of view, it is fair to expect things to be in stock when they're announced. I see at least one person got some.......

But I understand Kentmere is a small shop and may do limited-production runs of various papers, or whatever. I am just very very pleased they have put out a high-quality bromide paper!! I always loved the original Zone VI Brilliant made in France and I hope this is at least as good.

Like Ian says, maybe increased demand here in the (highly useful) USA will help out the photographers on the other side of the pond, too. We'd all benefit if this product takes off.

All I can do is wait until April for my order to some in, I guess.....

-Mike

BTW, can we leave this a marketing\technical discussion and leave the USA-bashing out of it? It doesn't help anything at all, except get people to update their ignore lists.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin