Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,880   Online: 1129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format

Helpful comments!

The comments offered have been very helpful. I thought it might be worthwhile to 'drill" into my specifics (as to exposure, processing, etc.) to get into the practical aspects I will be working with.

Generally, I am seeking a product that I can use with both 35mm and 120, and expose at an EI of 1000 to 1600. The comments on Ilford Delta 3200 sound as if within this range I can expect a negative with broad tonal range characteristics and with possibly less grain than using the "box speed" of EI 3200. And, I believe that I would be happier with this approach compared to using Kodak 400 TMAX and exposing at a EI of 1000, with a corresponding adjustment in development.

My lab is a mail-order environment, with a menu of processing options (like "push/pull") and the conversion of the negative into a digital format, uploading to "cloud" and burning onto CD with physical delivery of CD and negatives after processing. I think my next steps would be to ask the lab what experience they have with Ilford Delta 3200 exposed in the ranges that I am proposing. Since the lab is the post-production point in this cycle, I believe it makes sense to work from their experience rather than ignore their input. Ultimately, I will run some test exposures (probably in 120) based on their guidance and view the results.

I realize that for those that develop their own film, and enlarge in their own lab, this might seem like a very different approach, but for now it is my best solution. For those that self-develop, is there any chemistry that you have worked with that yields bad (harsh?) results within these parameters?

Thanks for your comments.

FL Guy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First the "box speed" of any film is the ISO rating, D3200 has a box rating of 1000. Delta 3200 is just its name.

Second shooting TMax 400 at 1000 in my world is "inside the limits". I'd shoot there and develop normally without a second thought. You should test that all the way to the print to see if it works for you. Same for D3200.

My bet would be that you find TMax 400 less grainy and D3200 more grainy and that both are beautiful.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Iso 1000-1600? Try tri-x 400 plus Diafine.
    Got excellent results with this combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin