Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Benzotriazole in LPD with expired Brovira

I stumbled upon some expired, unopened Brovira Grade 3 that I plan to use it in my ordinary developer, which is LPD.

I generally use the LPD diluted 1:1.

I am wondering if I add the benzotriazole (from Photo Formulary), how much I should add — and if I need to add it at the beginning of each session or if I can add it once and re-use the LPD as normal.

On a separate note, would i have better luck using the Brovira for lith prints (is there less of a chance of a fog this way?)

Cheers,
    Phil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I would process one image w/o the benzatriazole in order to evaluate the quantity necessary to be added, if any.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Jim, try one and see if the paper is fogged.

If you feel it is I would use 6 to 15 mL of 1% solution BZT per liter of working solution developer. Experiment with 6, 9, 12 and if 15 is needed maybe a new batch of paper is in order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use as little BZT as you can since it will tend to cool tones. You might also try using a 10% solution of KBr to limit fog. The concentrations are such that the two solutions can be used similarly.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the info. I ordered a 10g container of BZT from photo formulary. Do you know how much water i need to mix it with to make a 1 percent solution?

EDIT: based on reading this on the b&h site, it seems like this will make 10 liters of .1 percent or five liters of .2 percent. My math isn't great but I think that's right.

"Make a 0.2% solution of benzotriazole (2g benzotriazole in water at 125°f/52°c or higher to make 1 liter) then reduce the bromide to 1/10 or 1/6 strength and use just enough benzotriazole solution to prevent developer stain or fog. A little experimentation may be required."
    Last edited by pstake; 08-22-2013 at 02:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I came across this PDF, it has lots of information on outdated paper.

http://www.notesonphotographs.org/im...ct_for_web.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You would dissolve the BZT in 1 liter of hot water. When the water cools check the volume and add water to make 1 liter . This will yield a 1% w/v (weight to volume) solution.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You would dissolve the BZT in 1 liter of hot water. When the water cools check the volume and add water to make 1 liter . This will yield a 1% w/v (weight to volume) solution.
    How much do I dissolve in the 1 liter (and later adding another liter for a total of 2 liters)? 2g?
    Last edited by pstake; 08-22-2013 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
    I came across this PDF, it has lots of information on outdated paper.

http://www.notesonphotographs.org/im...ct_for_web.pdf
    Thanks. this is great.

It states that 10g should be dissolved in 500ml of water to create a stock solution; and 30ml of stock solution added per liter of developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a 1% solution dissolve 10 g in 1 liter of water. Since you must use hot water to avoid doing a lot of stirring the volume will contract when it cools and you need to add a little additional to bring it up to 1 liter. Sorry if my post didn't make this completely clear.

>>> BTW I found the PDF article very interesting and worthy of being posted on its own thread for access to a larger body of readers. <<<
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-22-2013 at 10:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin