Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,125   Online: 937

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Hand Colour Printing Paper

I am looking for suggestions for hand colouring fibre base prints. I currently have Art 300 and Ilford MG4matte but I have not hand coloured for over 30 years .

The paper has to be readily available from Ilford, Freestyle or B&H.

Any suggestions from those hand colouring would be appreciated, as well what materials are you using to add colour. If you can supply a jpeg of your work would even be better.

thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob- of the readily available papers, I use the MGIV matte, and the WT semi-matte. I cold with oils and pencils. Lots of examples in my Gallery.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks Eddie

I forgot about the WTsemi matt, how do the oils and pencils adhere compared to the matte??
    I have seen your examples on the gallery they are great

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Bob- of the readily available papers, I use the MGIV matte, and the WT semi-matte. I cold with oils and pencils. Lots of examples in my Gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Multigrade FB, Agfa Record Rapid and Portriga back in the 80's as well as RC papers. I only used toners inc dye coupled toners, and colour retouching dyes.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They do well. Both have just enough "tooth" to hold the oils, but not too much so they grab. I also use Forte semi-matte. It does a nice job, if you still have any.
    I think the success of a paper is dependent on how you apply the paint. I use Q-Tips, cotton balls, and toothpicks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only used Ilford for handcoloring. The Art300 works with ordinary colored pencils, too, so it's easier to get exactly the color you want. But it really grabs the color and holds on tight. I've used the FB glossy (might be something in my gallery, but I'm not sure; my website has a few) and it's got enough tooth to hold the Marshall's oils. Like Eddie, I used Q-tips and such. In the ladies' make-up stuff in places like Walmart and CVS, there are make-up applicators that are basically like Q-tips, but have one pointy end. They're great for getting into smaller areas or doing details. The bigger end is like a flattened Q-tip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the ilford Art 30 with great success. I use artists pencils (see attachment) and ordinary Crayola crayons. I have also colored glossy FB and RC papers. I spray them with a coat of matte Krylon, which provides great 'tooth' for coloring. The attached cherry tomatoes were colored with artists pencils.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 88955.jpg   Colored-Cherries-APUG.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123-hand-colour-blog.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	73411
    Foma 123 is good as it has plenty of tooth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post

Name:	123-hand-colour-blog.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	73411
    Foma 123 is good as it has plenty of tooth.
    I agree. I forgot I just colored a couple of lith prints on Foma 123. I used Prismacolor colored pencils.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want tooth, try using Liquid Emulsion, on heavyweight, highly textured paper. I did this using Liquid Light on Fabriano Artistico. Colored with oils and pencils:

Name:	hirschfield_nude2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	556.1 KB 
ID:	73413

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin