Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,836   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pushing Film - Newbie Question

I have an orchestral performance to shoot for school this weekend, and along with the pixelgraphs the newspaper wants, I decided to shoot some film as well.

I have HP5+ rolled up and ready to go, so my question is this:

Do I expose it at (800, 1600, whatever speed) and develop it at that speed (according to the big chart) or shoot it at 400 (rated speed) and develop it at the higher speed?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You shoot it at the speed you need (say, 1600), and develop it for the time indicated for an EI of 1600. (the first of your scenarios).

One thing to consider is that HP5 will go hyper-contrasty pretty quickly. Even at 1600 in Microphen the shadows are almost nonexistent. Using a push-unfriendly developer would probably make it worse (but I have never tried HP5 @ EI>400 in anything other than staright Microphen).

I can look up my dev time in Microphen for 1600 if you want.

allan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Send a Personal Message to TPPhotog and ask for his advice. He pushes HP5+ all the time.

Morten

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I push HP5 all the time to 1600 - I use Xtol or PC-TEA (same time and result) The Toe survives very well - Grain is not as bad as 3200 film - only slightly grainier than HP5 at 400. The key is Vitamin C. Good for you - good for your negs!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin