Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,296   Online: 821

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Why do you consider this method imprecise and not repeatable? If you think about it, it is very similar to develop sheet film in trays. What is the difference?
    I guess when you are a master like either of the adams might have been, then you can tray develop and have fair results. However, for the most of the rest of the world, tray developing and consistency, repeatability or reliability cannot fit in the same sentence...

As for the time it takes to pour in chemistry and the the fact the bottom of the tank gets more developing time - that has been overcome by rotation processing, where the chemistry is introduced while the tank is already rotating, like with a Jobo processor equipped with a lift.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I guess when you are a master like either of the adams might have been, then you can tray develop and have fair results. However, for the most of the rest of the world, tray developing and consistency, repeatability or reliability cannot fit in the same sentence...

As for the time it takes to pour in chemistry and the the fact the bottom of the tank gets more developing time - that has been overcome by rotation processing, where the chemistry is introduced while the tank is already rotating, like with a Jobo processor equipped with a lift.
    Really? You pull a length of film through a tray of developer. Back and forth. How much easier can it get?

Rotary processing is a fine tool, but usually very expensive. I know I couldn't afford a JoBo, but am perhaps also a bit reluctant to rely on one. But I am a highly skeptical individual, so I may fit poorly into a group discussing rotary processors. All I know is I've seen some fabulous negs come out of them, and they cost a lot of money.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMorris View Post
    I was reading an essay by Todd Papgeorge on Robert Adams, and came across this explanation of his film developing technique for "The New West":

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2011/...m-what-we.html

It involved the use of shallow custom-made trays and required that Adams make a loop of a single roll of film by taping its ends together and then manipulating it through several trays of photographic chemistry, all in pitch blackness.

This sounds like stand development, right? Anyone know for sure, and why he taped the roll in a loop rather than use tanks? I wonder if he was doing development by inspection.
    Completly bonkers, he should get himself a tank.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tray processing or this seesaw can work great if you are willing to work at it. It didn't work for Adams because he is a master but because he did it over and over and over. 500 times for one project. If you can practice something that much, practice not only until you get it right but until you can't get it wrong you'll have good consistent results. Good pictures? That's another problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Really? You pull a length of film through a tray of developer. Back and forth. How much easier can it get?
    Well - a machine could be doing that for you

Rotary processing is a fine tool, but usually very expensive. I know I couldn't afford a JoBo, but am perhaps also a bit reluctant to rely on one. But I am a highly skeptical individual, so I may fit poorly into a group discussing rotary processors. All I know is I've seen some fabulous negs come out of them, and they cost a lot of money.
    Expensive is a relative term, though no one can say Jobo is cheap, when compared to a tray, or a 5$ SS tank and reels.
    On the other hand as you say its a great too, that for some is worth the expense
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Developed sheet film in trays for decades with excellent results...and I still see-saw roll film through photo-flo.

Whatever works!

Vaughn

PS -- I love my Jobo Expert Drums (3005)...but if I have large areas of even tonality and it is a very important neg, I fall back to tray development.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends what you consider to be expensive.

The setup below is with steel reels in a plastic tank.

I can also use it with an AP tank that works with plastic AP reels designed to be usable in Paterson tanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails develop.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Depends what you consider to be expensive:
    I've thought about doing that. There are a couple of Those rotary developers on the shelf, but so far I've only done sheet film.

How much chemistry do you use?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've thought about doing that. There are a couple of Those rotary developers on the shelf, but so far I've only done sheet film.

How much chemistry do you use?
    Not much.

I generally half fill the tank, as long as that gives me enough "stock" to avoid developer exhaustion.

I don't use rotary development all the time - especially since I transitioned to mostly using HC-110 replenished.

I do use it for stop bath, fixer and hypo clearing though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tray develop sheet film, and have no issues with unevenness. Continuous agitation as required with a Jobo is not always the desired approach. I agitate 10 seconds every 60 in Pyrocat HD, for example, and do not want to agitate more.

The main benefit I'd see personally with rotary processing is using 1/5th of the chemistry, and also perhaps more consistency of temperature & agitation time, assuming a tempered water bath.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin