Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,242   Online: 878

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Matt -- your picture is food for thought. Heck, you could even fill the plastic tank with water at a specific temperature if you wish. I'd been thinking of how to make a hand-cranked device that would both rotate a tank and invert it at the same time, using parts from an old hand egg beater and bicycle parts or something. Yours is a bit easier!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Matt -- your picture is food for thought. Heck, you could even fill the plastic tank with water at a specific temperature if you wish. I'd been thinking of how to make a hand-cranked device that would both rotate a tank and invert it at the same time, using parts from an old hand egg beater and bicycle parts or something. Yours is a bit easier!
    This machine rotates AND inverts at the same time!! small capacity and i dont think its cheap - but still its cool:
    http://www.fototv.de/gekippt_nicht_ger%C3%BChrt

http://heilandelectronic.de/tas_filmprozessor/lang:en
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, shoot! I was gonna make a million bucks from my contraption -- and here this fellow makes a better product than I could imagine! Guess I'll concentrate on my anti-gravity boots...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About the plastic tank ....

It is there to keep the counter clean and dry, and to provide a better contact surface for the rollers on the base (the tanks are a bit slippery).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, shoot! I was gonna make a million bucks from my contraption -- and here this fellow makes a better product than I could imagine! Guess I'll concentrate on my anti-gravity boots...
    Sorry to bust your hopes yet again:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...51495398,d.cWc

CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, is that a Uniroller base? I find that on mine the distance between the support wheels and the drive wheels is too great for the tank to touch both, so it doesn't spin properly.

A friend of mine has done largely what you do, but has basically invented a larger cylinder into which the stainless tank fits, so to increase its diameter. Your invention does the same, but adds some random behavior to the agitation, which I believe could even be a good thing.

I've been playing with the idea of simply making something that fits snugly to the tank, so that it's easier to fill and drain, because I don't have to remove the tank from another container, but I can just remove the lid in normal order. An added benefit to me, because my darkroom is about 50 degrees F in the winter, is for the insulation and temperature stability it would provide.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Matt, is that a Uniroller base? I find that on mine the distance between the support wheels and the drive wheels is too great for the tank to touch both, so it doesn't spin properly.

A friend of mine has done largely what you do, but has basically invented a larger cylinder into which the stainless tank fits, so to increase its diameter. Your invention does the same, but adds some random behavior to the agitation, which I believe could even be a good thing.

I've been playing with the idea of simply making something that fits snugly to the tank, so that it's easier to fill and drain, because I don't have to remove the tank from another container, but I can just remove the lid in normal order. An added benefit to me, because my darkroom is about 50 degrees F in the winter, is for the insulation and temperature stability it would provide.
    I have used several bases over the years, including Beseler and Uniroller ones.

I like the ones that automatically reverse, but have used the unidirectional ones as well.

The outer container is big enough to span the distance between the support wheels and the drive wheels - I had to haunt the Dollar Stores until I found just the right size .

The lid clips on - it is quite quick to handle. I'd rather have that because it is easy to clean.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have used several bases over the years, including Beseler and Uniroller ones.

I like the ones that automatically reverse, but have used the unidirectional ones as well.

The outer container is big enough to span the distance between the support wheels and the drive wheels - I had to haunt the Dollar Stores until I found just the right size .

The lid clips on - it is quite quick to handle. I'd rather have that because it is easy to clean.
    Thanks, Matt, for your reply.

I'm primarily interested in this solution for color film. With black and white I use agitation as a tool to achieve the tonality that I want, so can't do rotary there. In the future it will be handy with the uniroller too if I wanted to make color prints.

I'll think of something.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

AJH

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic amateur View Post
    Ansel Adams died in 1984. Were these technologies available then?
    Digital amateur cameras were not. Professional was limited tot defense and space.

The workflow for print-press printed reproduction was very much digital already. Purpose built computing machines cost considerably more then one can comprehend now. Print numbers were much bigger then
    I clearly remember reading about his thoughts about the future distribution and he expressed to have no difficulty with distribution through digital means and on computerscreens.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin