Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,501   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T Max Developer

Shooter
    Medium Format

T Max Developer

I bought a dusty bottle of T Max developer at my local camera shop today and when I got back home I noticed there was no seal on it. Is there suppose to be one? Does it expire if opened? I also bought stop bath and there is no seal on it either. I spent $30 there so I'm not too happy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, every Kodak bottle (at least every bottle in Europe) is factory sealed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The US packaged HC-110 had no seal.

Polymax-T developer has no seal.

I've had my bottle of Kodak Stop bath open so long I cannot remember if it had a seal.

The ONLY thing I don't like about Ilford liquid chemistry is how it is just about impossible to get the seal opened and totally removed from the bottles.

The T-Max developer bottle should have an expiry date on it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot seem to remember either....I just looked at some T-Max developer at Calumet and there was no expiration date on it so I passed it up.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    T-Max and especially HC-110 keep very nicely at normal temperatures. Neither comes with a seal other than the top being screwed on tightly.

Nothing seems to keep as long as Rodinal, but maybe that is because we don't use it up regularly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tmax Developer isn't sealed in the USA. Many years ago, when it came in the original square bottle, it did have a seal, but the current round bottles never had one.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know this is a bit off OP, but can someone explain to me why T Max requires it's own developer and how this is advantageous to any standard PQ developer?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks. I could have sworn that the bottle of HC-110 had a seal on it, that's why I was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I know this is a bit off OP, but can someone explain to me why T Max requires it's own developer and how this is advantageous to any standard PQ developer?
    Actually, from what I've been reading, T Max developer seems to be a bit unpopular. T Max film doesn't require its own developer though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another question: I have a bottle of Kodafix thats been open for 5 or 6 months. There's some funky brown stuff inside of the bottle...will it still work? I only used it once so it's mostly filled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Tmax films do not really require their own developer. It's just that Kodak marketed them that way and designed the developer to work well with those films, especially for push processing and higher temperatures (25C rather than 20C).

The films work well with other developers like Xtol, D76/ID11, Rodinal, etc. and the developer works well with other 35mm and medium format films. Unless you use the replenished version, the developer is a little costly for large format.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin