Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 732

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly negatives

Shooter
    Medium Format

Curly negatives

Any tip to make negatives become flat faster after drying. The AGFA APX is very curly even after hours dried. v

Images
    Good Morning, Marciofs,

After the film is dry, don't cut it immediately. Put it back on a processing reel with the emulsion side OUT, giving it a reverse curl. I do this with Foma 200 Creative. It works, but it does take some time, perhaps several days with the Foma. This problem is a reminder that Kodak T-Max and Ilford films do have definite advantages!

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks. I try next time because I have cutter it already and I put in a book to make it flatter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing I've heard is to let them dry more slowly by using a slightly humid environment. Since I run the hot water in the shower before hanging my negs, this accomplishes that as well as batting down the dust.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    All good advices. You can also try Ilford films. From my experience they dry perfectly flat. Better than any other brand.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Winger gives good advice. I don't know how you are drying your negs, but perhaps if you leave them to dry in ambient temperature over several hours you will not get that curl.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are using a hardening fix, switching to a non-hardening fix will make a huge difference. With Tri-X the difference in curliness is night and day.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dry mine on the reel and they tend to have a curl initially. This really doesn't bother me too much when I scan and print them. I store my negatives in sleeves and they always flatten out on their own after brief storage. I do find that some films curl more than others as mentioned above.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    If you are using a hardening fix, switching to a non-hardening fix will make a huge difference. With Tri-X the difference in curliness is night and day.
    The downside to this advice is that the negatives are less resistant to abrasion.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am used to Ilford negatives and so to cut them after 30m it is dried.

But I am noting all the advices because I will use this APX negatives for my street shots from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin