Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,299   Online: 902

Shooter
    Multi Format

Precipitate in Sulfte solution

I've made up a solution of Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) at 30g/l ... it seemed fully dissolved and perfectly clear when I decanted from the mixing vessel to the storage bottle, but within a few hours a soft white precipitate formed at the bottom. I used water from an ordinary kitchen filter jug at room temperature. The sulfite was purchased from a reputable supplier of photographic chemicals.

I can easily run the solution through a filter it of course, but why should this have happened?

Would using Sodium hexametaphosphate (or similar) in the water, or deionised water, help avoid the formation of precipitate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you used tap water then the white precipitate is probably calcium sulfite. Next time use distilled or de-ionized water.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-28-2013 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Gerald

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin