Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,236   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tmax 400 developing

I've found that although I really like shooting slower film in 120, I usually need a tripod to shoot anything besides very sunny scenes (shaky hands ). I went to San Antonio on a business trip last month so I grabbed three rolls of Tmax 400 to try because that's what I had access to and eliminate the need for taking a tripod. Now for the dilemma.

So far I've only used Rodinal for my Acros 100, and ID-11 for my Tri-X which both have given me decent results. Since these are the only two developers I have on hand I was wondering if someone could suggest a starting point to use one or the other with the Tmax? FWIW, all the rolls were shot at 400 and the majority of shots were in partial to full sun. I really don't want to have to keep another developer on hand, but if neither one of these will work very well then I'd entertain the thought. As a side note I will be scanning these.

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both developers listed will net great results. Simply refer to the massive development chart over at digitaltruth.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take another roll and get your development figured out first if these are important photos. I think this film is the best film in the whole world, but it's "more responsive to changes in development", meaning you can screw up development easier if you don't have a proven and consistent process. Massive dev chart is a good starting point, but it's not accurate enough for every variable in developing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Surely there has to be times for TMax 400 using ID11 and Rodinal? Certainly Ilford will list times for TMax using its own ID11 and Kodak will list times for its D76 which is practically the same stuff so same or very similar times will apply.

I'd go with Xtol for all three of your films but if you don't want to get Xtol then see paragraph above.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looking at the suggested times for Tmax 400 as suggested on my latest bottle of RO9 One Shot, which is rodinal by another name I get 6 minutes at 1/25 and 11 at 1/50

Shooter
    35mm
    And as always, thank you folks! Your info and knowledge is a great help for us returning "newbies".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My process time for T-Max 400 in D-76 stock is 8 minutes at 20 degrees C.

I don't like the 1 to 1 dilution, as it sometimes gives thin negatives.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the Ilford ID-11 tech info. Developing infor for non-Ilford films start at page 6.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...7133131459.pdf
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again. I just forgot I have shot one roll of Tmax 400 before . Does anyone elses's memory leak like a steel sieve? I took a roll on a trip to see a friend in OK. Here are a few of the shots. I used ID11 1:1 for 8:45 sec with initial 30 second inversions (about 10-12) then two inversions every 30 seconds (2 in about 5 seconds) for the remainder. If I remember right though the negatives were a little light and I was concerned about shadow detail. I guess I was wondering what everyone elses experience was.

There's a few more here if anyone's interested: http://www.rollinghillsimagery.com/Film/Yashica-Mat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tmax 400 is beautiful in D-76 1+1. 9 minutes, 68 degrees.

Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin