Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,126   Online: 965

Shooter
    Medium Format

Not seeing changes in developed TX400 when bracketing

I am new to Tri-X and have been bracketing shots - one a full stop under, one a half-stop under, one at what I think the exposure should be, one a half-stop over, and one a full stop over. Developed in D76 1+1 @68-69 degrees for 10 mins.

To be honest, I see very little difference in the resulting negatives. Is that just a function of the "latitude" that is associated with this film?

For reference, and in the event it matters, exposure was determined by measuring the darkest area in which I wanted to retain shadow detail with a one-degree spotmeter and stopping down two stops.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

-Matt
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt,

Have you printed the negatives?

As you are currently a bit rusty in your negative evaluation skills, you may be finding it a bit difficult differentiating visually between the results of your bracketing.

Printing them will reveal more.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Matt,

Have you printed the negatives?

As you are currently a bit rusty in your negative evaluation skills, you may be finding it a bit difficult differentiating visually between the results of your bracketing.

Printing them will reveal more.
    That's fair. No I have not.
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might set the meter to incident mode, retract the dome... run the negatives across the incident sensor and take readings...

Very roughly, a negative might get 1/2 stop "denser" for each full stop additional exposure. So I expect you to find one f/stop difference between the lightest and densest negative in a series.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You might set the meter to incident mode, retract the dome... run the negatives across the incident sensor and take readings...

Very roughly, a negative might get 1/2 stop "denser" for each full stop additional exposure. So I expect you to find one f/stop difference between the lightest and densest negative in a series.
    Interesting. Will definitely give that a shot.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin