Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,849   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

ID-11 results less than expected?

I must admit, this was my first time using ID-11. I had laying around some ID-11 and I thought I would give it a go. I mixed as instructed for 1 liter and used my best judgement on development times based on what others had experienced and the Ilford recommendation for Delta 400.

The negatives came out somewhat over developed?, and what I would describe as thick or dense. If I were to guess, I would say that the developer might have been too concentrated? I ran two rolls, and the second fared better than the first but they still seem very dense. The film base is not clear. Its as if the developer left some of the halides on the base. I might have gotten a few shots that are printable... The Fixer I used is the same as always, Ilford Rapid fix. Temperature was 68f for 7.5 minutes. There is one frame of the roll that SHOULD be totally clear due to a camera malfunction, but is not - like the developer didn't even notice that frame.

I should say I have never experienced this problem with Ilfosol S.

I have not included a scan yet but will as soon as I get near a scanner. Has anyone else experienced issues with ID-11?
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never used ID-11, but it is supposed to be the same as D-76 which I have used a lot. The Massive Developing Chart says Delta 400 Pro should take 7 minutes at 68F in stock solution, so your time should be OK. Is there a possibility the film was either over exposed or flashed?
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John,

I have used ID11 with Delta 100 & 400, HP5 and Tri-X 35mm, 120 and 4x5 all at box speed and Ilford's recommended time at 68F (unless I wanted a contrast change) for very many years with zero problems. I can't pinpoint your problem but it does come in two sizes: one to make 1L stock solution and one to make 5L stock solution. Unless there was an original exposure mix-up perhaps you mixed the 5L as 1L. There is a time difference for full strength vs 1:1. One possibility could be to use the 5L mixed at the 1L dilution at full strength at the 1:1 time and/or the camera malfunction you mentioned is worse than you think.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is possible that you expose your film differently, which gives denser negatives. If your negatives are too dense, you must do one or more of these things:

1. If the shadow details are too dense - dial back exposure.
    2. If shadow details are normal - develop for less time, or lower temperature, or dilute the developer (more).
    3. Check to see that your temperature is OK.

John has a good idea about mixing too, although I think it would be hard to solve a 5 liter ID-11 kit in 1 liter of water.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan1_zps0c7f850f.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	73905

Here is a straight scan. Perhaps this is more telling.
    - J. Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks horribly fogged.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 09-03-2013 at 11:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or not fixed properly, and then fogged.

It's highly unlikely it's anything to do with the developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed re the fog. Factor out the fog, and they look fairly normal, possibly a bit weak in exposure. But usable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That looks like bad base fog. Old film that wasn't stored well (or was fast film, which doesn't age well) or film that was poorly stored?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    After examining my workflow, it was fogged in the changing bag - changing bag had some sort of tear in the inner liner.
    New changing bag on the way.
    - J. Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin