Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,005   Online: 852

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With enlarging, expose for highlights and use paper grade to adjust your blacks. But there are always exceptions to that rule of course. But you should develop your paper for at least 1 1/2 minutes.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish you people would stop beating around the bush and just tell the OP he needs to develop for longer ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To summarize the stages of development

Stage I: Latency period, there seems to be nothing going on.
    Stage II: Very rapid change in density in the print.
    Stage III: Development slows significantly. Little change in appearance with time.
    Stage IV: Paper fogs and becomes completely black.

Development is complete when Stage III is attained.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I'm just starting out myself....can you overdevelop the print like you can with the negative?
    Very very difficult. The main problem with overdeveloping and I mean REAL overdeveloping is you will get a chemical fog which destroys the appearance of the image (Very much the same as with old stale paper out of date)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest to the OP that they get a good book on printing such as Ansel Adams The Print and read it thoroughly. There is much more to creating a good print than can be learned off the net.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed. Or for a beginner needing some basic guidance, Ilford and Kodak can help:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1321242292.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read the pamphlets and a book, but nobody ever said you couldn't really overdevelop the print. I was using Ilford Multigrade and developing EXACTLY 60 seconds! Good to know I don't have to hover over the tray waiting for the timer to go off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear WWW 12345

Please PM me your home address and I will send you the ILFORD Multigrade printing manual, it should save you some grief....low cost enlargers should not hinder you getting a good print.

But always remember the most important thing in high quality printing is the high quality NEGATIVE....

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Selinium toning is a nice touch aswell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    But always remember the most important thing in high quality printing is the high quality NEGATIVE....

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Echoing Simon's remark the negative is important, get them right and they print easily. Follow the manufacturers recommendations for print development times, they can be as short as 30-45seconds with some film developer combinations.

Ian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin