Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,014   Online: 872

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you over-develop a print significantly, you are much more likely to encounter safelight fog if your safelight(s) is/are close to being unsafe.

For beginners, I suggest developing a print for the exact mid-point of the manufacturers' recommended times. Then, as a comparison, develop two more identically exposed prints from the same negative - one at the minimum manufacturer's recommended time and one at twice the "mid-point" recommended time. Most likely you will learn from the comparison of the three results.

Note that different papers and developers will result in different recommendations.

My personal target time is the maximum time recommended by the manufacturers.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why do some people on APUG suggest to beginners in photographic processing that they read Ansel Adams? This is a bit like suggesting that those who wish to take up woodwork study Thomas Chippendale.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not? Those books were written with the beginner in mind. If you want to get better at anything studying the work of those with more skill is a good way to do it. If they have written books or made videos, even better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why do some people on APUG suggest to beginners in photographic processing that they read Ansel Adams? This is a bit like suggesting that those who wish to take up woodwork study Thomas Chippendale.
    I don't know of any two books; The Negative and The Print that are as comprehensive as the Adams series. Many excellent illustrations to show the beginner what a good negative or print looks like. Should we assume that newbies are complete dunderheads or are incapable of understanding a good textbook? These are books that are worth the investment whereas simpler ones are soon worthless as one becomes more experienced.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I think "The Negative" is one of the best books of it's type and a must read, "The Print" is OK as well but less important as the key is getting good negatives in the first place.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Personally I think "The Negative" is one of the best books of it's type and a must read, "The Print" is OK as well but less important as the key is getting good negatives in the first place.

Ian
    Yes, but how much photographic experience/time had you had before you read this?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's an update, as requested by a member via PM:

1. Paper size, brand, and type.

Ilford MGIV RC Deluxe Pearl

2. The developer brand and dilution.

Artists Premium Paper Developer 1:9 at approx. 78 F

3. The filter used.

None - I have two blue filters, but didn't know what they were for so I didn't use them.

4. Exposure time and lens aperture.

30-40 sec at f8

5. Enlarger and light source. For example, Bogen T35 with condenser head (which is the kind you have, except that you didn’t specify a condenser head, which it likely is).

I assume it is a condenser head - how do you tell the difference?

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm going to try to track down copies of "The Negative" and "The Print"...

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, I wanted to add a word of thanks to those who said you can't overdevelop - I always assumed that the quick change of the paper would keep happening if I left it in the developer. I guess I'll try some of those blue filters (any idea what they are? They aren't labeled - if it would help I could post a pic of them).

Also, I'm pretty sure the negatives are ok. I could post a pic of them, too, if it would help. What would be the best way to take a pic?

Thanks so much for all the help! I still can't get over how awesome and helpful everybody on APUG has been...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to get a set of the Ilford multigrade filters. By hook or by crook, get them somehow. You NEED them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I guess I'll track one down. Anybody have a spare to sell?

eBay is an option too, I guess.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin