Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,843   Online: 977

Shooter
    35mm

HC110 dilution -- confusion

Hi
    I have earlier (some years ago) used D76 as my main developer, but decided to switch to HC110.
    I have now bought 1 liter of HC110 (from macodirect.de), and I'm a bit confused about how to dilute it.
    I have read that there is a US (syrup) version that dilutes 1+3 to a solution B stock solution, and another EU version that are less strong and dilutes 1+9 to a solution B stock solution.
    And now I find it quite difficult to see which one we are talking about - looking at the label below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0583.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1,006.0 KB 
ID:	74077
    Anybody who can point me in the right direction (I plan to use it with Tri-x 400, Tmax 100 and 400)

Thanks
    Michael
    ---
    Michael Ĝstergaard Johansen
    Aabybro, Denmark
    mjo@isfoto.dk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You have bought the US version. EU version was packager in half liter bottle and is no more available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tanks - I suspected the US Syrup version :-)
    /Michael

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by isfoto View Post
    Tanks - I suspected the US Syrup version :-)
    /Michael
    Ok, but then I don't understand what the 1+3 for B in the first message means ? Or was that a typo and should it have been 1+31? I think A, B, etc.. Are WORKING solutions, not stock as mentioned in the first message.

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Do not mix up a working solution but leave it as a syrup as it will then last for years.

Best way to work is buy a syringe and mix up a one-shot solution whenever you want to process. You use the syringe to extract the developer, squirt it into the developer and then use the developer solution to get all of the HC110 out buy filling the syringe 3 times with the working developer solution and then squirting it back in to the working solution.

For Dilution B you want 8ml HC110 to 300ml of water (1 x 35mm reel) or 15ml HC110 to 500ml of water (1 x roll film reel).

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also find THIS article very helpful
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    Ok, but then I don't understand what the 1+3 for B in the first message means ? Or was that a typo and should it have been 1+31? I think A, B, etc.. Are WORKING solutions, not stock as mentioned in the first message.

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk
    Stefan:

The old US instructions for HC110 set out two different methods of getting to dilution B (1+31).

The second method is/was the same as shown on those new instructions - just mix it 1 part concentrate plus 31 parts water (the simple way).

The first method is/was a two step method involving first making an intermediate stock solution, and then subsequently diluting that intermediate stock solution 1 + 3 for dilution B.

The 1 + 3 "message" you refer to is just the incomplete 2nd half of those two step instructions.

The two step instructions do make sense if you are making big batches of developer that are going to be used quickly, like in commercial big tanks or school darkrooms.

The one step instructions are better for most, provided you don't mind dealing with small quantities (~6 ml per roll) of the thick concentrate syrup.

EDIT: and I too recommend Jason Brunner's HC-110 Made Simple article linked to by naeroscatu.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    I also find THIS article very helpful
    Thank you for posting. And also thank you Jason for original article.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin