Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,471   Online: 1126

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Why does it matter so much what the edge markings look like? Come on, people.

Focus on the image area of the film to solve your problems.

Personally it's just a matter of curiosity. They were mentioned and I've noticed the thinness myself. I've had no problem at all with the actual images that couldn't be explained by "user error".

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I developed the other half of the previously mentioned roll today, and the negative looks good. These images date from July 5 through a couple weeks ago. And in this case, I admittedly did leave the camera in the car for about a week in August (though this was Pittsburgh August, not Louisiana August). I haven't scanned it yet (it's drying) but I see good density in most frames -- the others I can attribute to poor lighting.

I think I'm going to take up Simon's offer to inspect the bad film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    bvy,

What's the density of the edge markings?

In all this thread, I can't help but think that the exposure on the edge markings is "middle gray" to avoid issues like bromide streaks.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The edge markings are comparable to scans I've seen of others' Pan F. A bit thin, yes, but it's quite easy to read off the frame numbers. On the bad roll, they're practically invisible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Temperature, developer, dilution, subject matter, etc. there's just not enough evidence pointing to film being that you just got a solid set of frames out of it. Is the perceptol the same as last time?

The "stuffed animal" shot I posted was shot someone in June or July. It was developed a week ago. Latent image degradation is not so fast that the density is gone within 6 months, even with the supposed quicker loss with this film.
    You may not be exposing properly then. I certainly see degradation over 6 months with PanF+. But then I;m not as good as you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    I have been using Pan F plus for about one year now and my developers of choice are ID-11 and Rodinal in 1+1 and 1+50 dilutions respectively. Never had any problem exposing it at ISO 50. Negatives were always perfect, good density and contrast. Pan F tends to have deep blacks and lovely dark greys I really like. My habit is to expose and develop the roll within 2 days maximum. The edge markings are always very faint, which tells this is one of the worst films regarding latent image stability. So what I can recommend based on my experience is to expose normally and develop promptly.
    Agreed for those developers, dilutions and times with Pan-F+. I have recent experience (Rodinal tonight) with excellent results. I suspect something with the OP's camera or developing technique. My edge markings, for the record, are faint, but the images are beautiful (at least exposure/contrast wise, aesthetically they are as good -- or bad -- as the rest of my work.)

U.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film is on its way to Ilford, as I've taken up Simon on his kind offer to have a technician inspect it. I'll follow up as soon as I hear something. Meanwhile, I made a beautiful 9x12 enlargement last night of a frame from my second roll of Pan F Plus (same camera, same developer).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Myself. I use the Pan F Plus @ 25 in ID-11 @ 1-3 with very good, repeatable results. Before I found this recipe I thought also that I had a bad film chemical mixture but it was just my selection of developers.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I promised to follow up. Allow me to sing the praises of Ilford.

I sent the bad film to Ilford for inspection. Within about two weeks, I got a detailed response via e-mail from a technician. She checked the batch number of the film and found no other complaints or anything unusual in the coating/finishing records. She found nothing unusual in my development or storage of the film. As such, her findings were inconclusive. She did admit that "latent image regression" was the one weakness of Pan F Plus, whereby films developed more than six months after exposure could potentially come out slightly faint -- but, she said, not nearly to the degree that I've experienced. Even so, she could only guess that it was an extremely rare case of this phenomenon, and, as she put it, "that you've been extremely unlucky." She and Ilford were very generous in replacing the film.

I've since had good luck, together and separately, with both Pan F Plus and Perceptol. In fact, I'm considering Perceptol (stock) as my developer of choice for Neopan 100 Acros, of which I have a lot on hand.

Thanks to Simon and to Ilford for their excellent customer service and standing behind their products.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for letting us know.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin