Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,267   Posts: 1,680,852   Online: 796

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In all of my years doing processing, I have never seen true pinholes in film for any reason. I have seen it in paper because Dektol is Carbonate based. Even that was rare involving deep tank processing or poorly hardened emulsion.

I have seen dust and air bubbles cause such problems.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I now use an alkaline fixer (TF5), but before I did, I used an acid stop, but because I experienced pinholes when I was in the Army in the 60's, Ansco film and DK 50 developer, I eventually used only one or two cc's of a 28% acetic acid solution to a liter of stop bath (for film), just enough to create an acid environment. I never had problems with any film pinholing after that.
    Moving to an alkalin fixer could eliminate the issue for you, and if you read up on them, they have other benefits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you might also try a water bath between your developer and fixer
    some suggest they don't have pinholes when they DON"T use stop bath ..
    i haven't use stop bath in 30 years, but have never NOT used a pre wet bath
    never had pinholes in any film, ilford or kodak, maybe i am just lucky ...
    I had this problem sometimes before I decide to presoak my films (mainly HP-5+) 3 minutes with distilled water.

Have fun

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I just had pinholes in HP5+ sheet film when I accidentally made up a liter of ID-11 that really was supposed to be a 1/2 gal stock. There were crystals floating in the developer by the time it cooled
    for use, and with the jobo it ended up causing the little oblong clear holes in the dense portions of the negative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin