Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,240   Online: 929

Shooter
    Multi Format

Black and White in a Color Drum?

Ok, this might be an insane question, but does anyone know were there is any information on processing black and white prints in a color drum. I just find that I am far more comfortable with the color workflow than I am with the black and white.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can do it, but you don't get to see the print coming up in the developer, and you have to rinse out the tube every time. It tends to work better with RC paper than with fiber based paper, but you can try and see how your fiber paper of choice holds up in a tube. It can be a handy way of doing occasional big prints in a small darkroom. I have 20x24 and 16x20 tubes for that purpose.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Good Afternoon, Captainwookie,

Generally I use a Chromega drum for 4 x 5 film developing, but it also comes in very handy occasionally when I need to knock out a quick contact sheet. As David says, it works fine with RC as long as you don't need to see the print during development. David's comment about large prints is also appropriate. Last summer, I had several dozen 16 x 20's (RC) to make; I did all of them in a drum because none of them required any manipulation during processing and I didn't have to set up the large trays in my limited room. Use of drums saves on chemicals also.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captainwookie
    Ok, this might be an insane question, but does anyone know were there is any information on processing black and white prints in a color drum. I just find that I am far more comfortable with the color workflow than I am with the black and white.
    This is the way I develop my mono prints, both R/C and Fibre. There isnít a special technique, if you have used a drum for colour work then use the same methods for black & white. The paper manufactures give development and fixing times, which are a good starting point, and which I continue to follow. With regard to the chemicals, use the same quantities as recommended for colour work in your drums. You can use them ďOne ShotĒ or as I do follow the top up method, itís very economical and reliable. David mentioned possible problems with Fibre, I have found single weight paper sometimes collapses away from the drum wall, so I only use the heavier papers.
    The method has many advantages, and few drawbacks.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Iíve been messing around with Ilfochrome for the last two months and got very use to the process. I like the fact that I can just go into the darkroom and turn out a single print without much hassle. I donít want to give up on try processing, I just like the idea of being able to turn out a single print with a small amount of chemistry and mess. Of course I will have to perfect my exposure test process so that Iím not turning out a lot of bad prints.

So, I just put the print in the color drum and stick it on my Beseler motor base using the normal times? That sounds easy, I'll have to give it a try soon.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That all sounds very reasonable. Considering that prints are usually developed to completion, timing shoudn't be a big problem as long as you give enough time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano
    That all sounds very reasonable. Considering that prints are usually developed to completion, timing shoudn't be a big problem as long as you give enough time.
    That's a valid point.
    I should have added that I finish the process with a couple of water wash cycles of about 30 secs each.
    Removing the print is easier if, having removed the end cap, you stand the drum on end, fill it with water, and wind the print up a little. This unsticks it from the drum.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin