Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,235   Online: 1059

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

AMIDOL and VC PAPER

I want to use the M.S. recipe for enlarging paper; my Forte VC. Can I use this straight or do I need to dilute like I do with the Zone-VI developer. Any other tips, reccommendations appreciated.
    Thanks Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would not waste the magic dust on VC paper. $5 a tray with no real benefit. Use the PC-TEA recepie - you won't need to use gloves - you can buy the active ingredient at Trader Joes - it is not toxic down the sink. Amidol requires care in mixing not to get the fine powder in your lungs - It stains everything - it is really costly and you don't want to be soaking in it - Great stuff for AZO - For everything else there is PC-TEA.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    While papers have changed a lot over the years, St. Ansel saw no advantage in using Amidol over Dektol. I don't think AA was using AZO so his comments would be directed at the run of the mill papers we use.

I find Dektol does everything I need a VC paper developer to do.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    I do find that Formulary 130 paper developer has a slight edge in print quality over Dektol. The best thing about 130, though: the working solution can last for months. I just had a gallon that finally wore out: it was 3-4 months old and easily had 100 8x10s run through it.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    While papers have changed a lot over the years, St. Ansel saw no advantage in using Amidol over Dektol. I don't think AA was using AZO so his comments would be directed at the run of the mill papers we use.

I find Dektol does everything I need a VC paper developer to do.
    Well, here's where I part company with the Scripture of St. Ansel. I found there was a BIG difference between amidol and Dektol; in favor of amidol. More open highlights, much better local contrast. I've used it on Kodak, Ilford, and Forte/J&C VC papers. Maybe a couple others that I can't remember. I haven't used Dektol in over a year, having totally replaced it with Neutol WA or amidol.

Another thing St. Ansel couldn't ever figure out; using a water bath for print developing. I agree with him in that it doesn't work with Dektol - but it sure works fine with Neutol WA and works excellently with amidol.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I found no significant advantage to using Amidol with Ilford MGIV, but I haven't tried with Forte VC. It might be worth investing in 10g of Amidol and trying it out.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Amidol+VC Paper

Alex-did you dilute the amidol or just use it straight? David-I now have the amidol so I'll try it for myself and report back
    Thanks, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Alex-did you dilute the amidol or just use it straight? David-I now have the amidol so I'll try it for myself and report back
    Thanks, Peter
    I use Michael A. Smith's formula as its written. Go to michaeland paula.com, the Azo section, formula and procedures. It works!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also use Smith's Amidol formula for enlarging papers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    The best thing about 130, though: the working solution can last for months. I just had a gallon that finally wore out: it was 3-4 months old and easily had 100 8x10s run through it.
    I HEAR that! My lasts FOREVER in my Nova processor! But I'm mixing my own Ansco 130 but I hear that Formulary 130 is the same (sort of)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin