Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,750   Online: 1061

Shooter
    Medium Format

Silvermax v APX 100 - what's the difference (if any)?

I'm looking for an APX 100 substitute since the new APX seems to be something entirely different (Kentmere?). Silvermax is supposed to be very similar which is fine. But I'm guessing there must be SOME difference between the two. Can anyone say what this is? Would results from Silvermax, to all intents and purposes, be the same as APX 100 or different in some way? If Silvermax wouldn't be a good substitute, what then am I looking at? What about Fomapan 100? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've run out of film and will be placing an order soon.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mirko explains in post no. 17 in this link.

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...35-36-a-2.html
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that, Karl. I'd read that thread and saw that Silvermax is based on APX 100. I suppose the question is, how does the added silver affect the character of Silvermax? It must make some difference unless it was only added for reversal purposes. Can Silvermax just be treated as APX 100 or has it changed in some way due to the added silver?
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not much use to agonize about it. Just buy some rolls and treat it as APX 100 and see how it goes.
    Fomapan 100 is a different creature, and has to be treated differently. APX 100 was easy to get full emulsion speed out of. If you get more than 50 our of Foma 100 I'll be the first to congratulate you. Foma also builds contrast like there's no tomorrow, so you have to cut your development time a little shorter compared to other films. If you treat it right, it is a beautiful film. But color reproduction wise, tonality wise, and speed wise, Foma is no APX.
    That doesn't mean that it's bad. It's just different.

What I mean is no matter what you choose to replace APX with, you still end up having to test it to get the most out of it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you're probably right, Thomas. Doesn't look like there are many options other than suck it and see.
    The Online Darkroom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin