Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

About to Try Delta 100 For the First Time. Any Recommendations?

A long time user of PanF Plus and FP4 Plus, I am about to give Delta 100 a go. To that end, I am taking a brick of the film up to Banff National Park this next weekend to shoot the first snowfall of the season ( a couple of cm fell at the higher elevations...and this is only September!). Any suggestions on shooting/processing for a neophyte? My usual habit for my black and white work is to rate the film at one-half box speed unless I am "pushing" the film (a habit I picked up who knows where and when...and why, but it works for me ).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Test it first. Never use new film on a trip. That's about the only recommendation I can give.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Delta 100 in rodinal stand. I use it at box speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used Pan F Plus as well for quite a while and it's one of my favourite black and white films. I have used Delta 100 too. My personal opinion is that Pan F is much better in terms of tones and subtlety of rendition for my taste. I wasn't very impressed by Delta in that sense, but nevertheless it' s an extremely sharp emulsion, not very tolerant to exposure mistakes (but Pan F isn't either) and I would recommend to use it at ISO 50 or 100 and develop as described in Ilford datasheet. I have myself mostly used Rodinal 1+50 for 14 min. at 20 degrees C and rated at 100 ISO. Hope it helps for you to start and then work from there to achieve what you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would only say what Thomas has said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Test it first. Never use new film on a trip. That's about the only recommendation I can give.
    Exactly!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would shoot it at box speed, but that's just me. Fourth what Thomas, Shawn, and JP have said. Test before you go so you're familiar with it. I like Rodinal and Pyrocat HD as developers in general, so I'd try either one that you're more comfortable with. Look up Delta 100 in the Massive Dev Chart and use their times/temps as a base for your test and go from there. You won't be un-happy with your results from Delta 100 unless you seriously screw the pooch on exposure or development - whether you'll love it or not is up to you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Delta 100 has a relatively long toe to it, so gives good highlight and upper midtone separation, but poor shadow differentiation under high
    contrast lighting - in which case, rating it at ASA 50 might indeed prove helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Delta 100 does not have a relatively long toe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try to keep it simple, using it at box speed and developing in ID-11 1+1 or 1+3.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin